Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  25 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

My name is ***** *****. I have a CentOS server with some

Customer Question

Customer: Hello my name is ***** *****. I have a CentOS server with some websites that I just moved over to this new server and now my emails are not sending. They either bounce or get stuck in the outbox. I'm not sure if I added the PTR records correctly or not and it that is the issue. Stuck but would welcome some insight.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: One user gets bounce messages like this: Reporting-MTA: dns; server12.w3webteam.comAction: delayedFinal-Recipient: rfc822;*****@******.***s: 4.0.0
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Computer Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

Please tell me if the Word document is still open or you closed it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am here now..the site went away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have waited and waited. I am no longer going to go through this with you. I would like my $36 refunded. Thank you!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, there was an error in response. My message was meant for another customer.

I am not familiar with CentOS so will opt-out and allow other Experts to respond to you.

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. This is Mike. Sorry for the long delay. Since someone else had replied, this message was off my radar. I checked the socsyn.com domain - I'm not sure if that is the one that you are having a problem with. But if it is, what I found was only one problem. And it is not a big problem, since it isn't implemented on most servers:

Hostname returned a missing or invalid DMARC record

Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance (DMARC) is a mechanism for improving mail handling by mail-receiving organizations. The ultimate purpose of DMARC, according to RFC-7489 is to provide a “mechanism by which email operators leverage existing authentication and policy advertisement technologies to enable both message-stream feedback and enforcement of policies against unauthenticated email. Email originating organizations utilize DMARC in order to express domain-level distribution policies/preferences for message validation, disposition, and reporting.

The DMARC Check will return either “Record Found” or “Missing/Invalid DMARC Record”. If the tests returns “Missing/Invalid DMARC Record” then we were not able to find a DMARC TXT record or there were syntax issues with your DMARC Record.

How DMARC Works:

DMARC policies are retrieved by the mail-receiving organization during a SMTP session, via DNS. When mail receivers query DNS, they look for a DMARC TXT record at the DNS domain that matches the one found in the RFC5322. From domain in the email message. If a policy is found, that policy is combined with the author’s domain and the SPF and DKIM results to deliver a DMARC policy result. This policy result will be either “pass” or “fail” and may cause a report to be generated. If a policy is not found, the DMARC module determines the organizational domain and repeats the attempt to retrieve a policy from the DNS.

Having a DMARC message handling policy is currently not required, but recommended as it improves mail-handling between both the sending and receiving organizations.

Is that the correct domain, or is there a different sending domain with which you are having the problem?