Breland
Breland, Sr. IT Administrator
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional
91054880

Can you suggest a good and secure way to speed up my desktop

Customer Question

Can you suggest a good and secure way to speed up my desktop computer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Computer Tech Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Your question is landed on Mac category. So I assume you are using a Mac. If not, please let me know.

There are several ways to speed up the Mac. Clear the temporary memory by resetting the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac bootup. This will clear PRAM memory (you will not lose any files)

The second method is, run Disk Utility. Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (the first one in the list will be your hard disk), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk. If you are using 10.11 El Capitan, then click First Air button and do it.

Don't buy any cleaning applications like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac etc. They does more harm than any good.

If you want to clean unwanted things with third party applications, then use Onyx (free) --> http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

For AntiVirus, use this application (free) --> https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Always delete unwanted files from your Mac and empty the trash. Don't put too may files on desktop. It will slow down the Finder performance.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a 8.1 windows

I'm sorry but this is Mac section and I'm a Mac tech. I will move this question to Windows PC category, so a Windows tech will get back to you. Please don't rate this answer anything. You will be notified when a PC expert get back to you

Expert:  Breland replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today. I noticed you have a couple other questions posted with other experts inquiring a way to speed up your computer. I would like to ensure that this is not a duplicate. Have you receiving assistance on speeding up your computer?