Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have 2 problems, 1) is that Windows 8.1 update does not

Customer Question

I have 2 problems, 1) is that Windows 8.1 update does not finish and requires the restore function to get back to the original version, and 2) I bought a new Plantronics legend headset yesterday but my computer will not install the updater program for it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

May I set up a quick, secure remote session to check both of the issues now?

Please reply back using the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, lets do this
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

OK, let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=abe4264b-1b96-4f11-9f8e-d1bdf453c6c1

Click 'I Agree'. An 'Elsinore Screen Connect' file will be downloaded by your browser (at the very bottom.)

OPEN/RUN the file from your downloads, and I'll be connected.

If you face any issues, just reply back to me below. Thank you.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the remote session. I have now opened up your question to our other experts, who will be able to assist further with this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hoping to get the headset issue fixed today because I am driving a service truck from Pennsylvania to North Carolina tomorrow and want to be able to use it then.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you get an error message when you try to install it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what it was but I think the other tech wrote it down so he could see what the code was
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I have no connection with him. I can log in and look at it for you but I require an extra charge to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get it and let you know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The error is: 0x80070643- Fatal error during installation- this is after downloading the Plantronics updater for my Voyager Legend and trying to install that I get the error
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

it probably has to do with the windows msi and net framework. They would give the win 8.1 update problems as well.

they are a pain in the you know what to fix.

you can try this utility for the msi

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair.html

this one might fix the net framework

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

the thing is they dont always work. there are so many things that can go wrong with them and they are so intertwined with the windows os that it is just a royal pain. sometimes you have to uninstall the whole thing and re install it and even that doesnt always work because of the way they are incorporated into the windows os.

but its worth a try if you want to.