Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician
62741268

TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. i SPOKE WITH THE CABLE CO. AND

Customer Question

i AM UNABLE TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. i SPOKE WITH THE CABLE CO. AND THEY SAID IT IS A COMPUTER PROBLEM. UNDER SETTINGS THE WI-FI BUTTON IS GRAYED OUT AND I AM UNABLE TO ACTIVATE IT. THANK YOU
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

Which pertain system do you have on the problem computer or what is the brand model of the device if it isn't a computer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Randy - it is a Toshiba laptop - 2 years old. On the control panel the WiFi button is grayed out. Gail

Okay, thank you. Check the laptop for an exterior Wireless Switch and also try the fn keys . Let me know if you can turn the wifi off and on please.

Step 1

Position the laptop so that you're facing the screen and the keyboard is in front of you.

Step 2

Check the front edge of the laptop's casing for a switch.

Step 3

Identify the wireless indicator light labeled with a wireless antenna icon. The "On/Off" switch to the left of the indicator light is the wireless switch.

Step 4

Move the switch to the "Off" position to deactivate the wireless adapter or move it to the "On" position if you want to power on the wireless adapter.

On-Screen Wireless Switch

Step 1

Press and hold down the "Fn" function key on the computer's keyboard to display the laptop's hotkey card icons on the screen.

Step 2

Click the "Wireless" icon on the screen or press the corresponding hotkey button on the keyboard, typically the "F8" key on a Toshiba laptop.

Step 3

Click the "Wireless On" or "Wireless Off" icon in the options list below the hotkey card

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Randy - there is no on/off button on the front of the screen. I held down the "FN" button but nothing is appearing on the screen.

okay, try this next please>Step 1: Click on the Start menu and type 'device manager' in the search box. Hit enter to start it.

Step 2: From the Network Adapters list, select your wireless adapter, and double-click on it.

Step 3: Select the Driver tab and click Uninstall.

Step 4: You will get a confirmation dialog. Click OK to accept. Your wi-fi drivers are now uninstalled.

then reboot the computer by powering off and back on. Then check for wifi.