Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  25 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I keep getting a message saying Internet Explorer has

Customer Question

I keep getting a message saying Internet Explorer has stopped working. Then it goes away and I get normal service for a while; then it comes back. Help! By the way, I know very little about the computer.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can assist you with your question.

A well has not started using a different name on their page with their address bar – but what you describe is indicative of malware on your system. In fact it's a textbook case of malware. Both the error that you are getting and the unexpected changing of URLs in your address bar. Even if you have any virus on your computer, malware can claim it and wreak havoc. What I would suggest doing is running Malwarebytes – you can download the free***@******.***. Installed that, then allow it to run the scan, and at the end – it will take quite a while to run – it will tell you how many items it found. Make note of the number of items and then allow the software to fix it when it asks you, then restart and run the software again. You'll want to do this until it no longer finds any malware.

Also, one precaution you can take in Internet Explorer is to go to the care icon and then Internet options – then go to advanced settings where you will see a reset button. Click on this reset button and then confirm and let it reset. This will reset Internet Explorer to all its system defaults. That way, if any plug-ins have been added to your browser without your permission, they will be removed. Please let me know if this helps and if you still have questions or problems with the computer.