Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

My CAD program won't start this morning because Tdx.dll is

Customer Question

My CAD program won't start this morning because Tdx.dll is missing from my computer. What is this file and how do I restore it to my computer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

What's the version of AutoCAD installed on your system?

May I set up a quick, secure remote session to check the issue now?

Please reply back using the Reply box below. Thank you.

Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Also, did you get any error or message when trying to reinstall AutoCAD?

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don't use AutoCAD......I use ArchiCAD ver 12 on Windows 10. I didn't get an error message when I tried to reinstall from the CD....it just spun its circle a couple of times and quit...no message. The program has been installed on the computer for a couple of years, I recently updated to W10 and it worked fine until this morning. When I click on the icon, I get the message that Tdx.dll is not on my machine and suggested the reinstall.
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Hmm, all right. Should we go ahead with a secure remote session (no extra charge), so that I can check the program for you?

Do let me know.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Let's go ahead with the remote session and with the live phone call....my office phone number is *****
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

No issues, let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=83043054-fd4a-4c11-98e0-1fe0fe9f511b

Click 'I Agree'. An 'Elsinore Screen Connect' file will be downloaded by your browser (at the very bottom of your Chrome window.)

OPEN/RUN the file from your downloads, and I'll be connected.

If you face any issues, just reply back to me below. Thank you.

Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for the remote session. Kindly update me on the results on this page itself. Thanks!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ArchiCAD still won't start....same error message plus another that said restore did not complete. suggested doing restore again with another restore point. suggest you try it
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Are you still with me?
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Hmm; do you have Norton installed, by any chance?

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Norton is installed on this computer.
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

OK; that's causing the issue with the system restore here. Please stand by; providing you with further directions now.

Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

OK, back. The steps might be a little complicated to follow; should we go ahead with another remote session now?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'd like to solve this problem
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Okay, please open up the following new link now:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=a28f7da5-fc95-4f4c-a38e-1149cae30168

Download and run the remote file once again, and I'll be connected. Thank you.

Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Hmm; we seem to have gotten inadvertently disconnected - did it boot up in Safe Mode this time?

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Are you still there? Computer gave message that it would not start in safe mode in the current account and that i should try another account. have no idea what this is about. screen just froze in safe mode. So I did a restart to get back to Windows desktop and here I am. What now?
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Hmm, I see - I did a remote reboot in Safe Mode, but since your system was not able to boot up properly, we got disconnected in the process as well.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Computer is operating very slowly now....it takes much longer to boot and to navigate.
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Please carry out the following steps now:

Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

RIGHT-click on the Start menu at the bottom, and then click "Run".

In the RUN box, type in msconfig and press ENTER.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
okay..... done
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

When the "System Configuration" window comes up, click on the Boot tab at the top, and then TICK the "Safe Boot" option.

Click Apply > OK. Restart your computer thereafter; it will boot up in Safe Mode all right this time.

Next:

Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Press the Windows key + R (on your keyboard) to bring up the RUN box again, while in Safe Mode.

Type in rstrui and press ENTER.

Follow the on-screen directions to select the 12/10 restore point, and click Next > Finish.

Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Wait for the restore to complete; it should complete successfully this time.

Done that, check if this makes any difference to your program. Do let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry, the Sys config menu disappeared when I tried to follow your instructions. No progress so far. will try again.
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

No issues; please retry the steps from the start now, and let me know how it goes.

Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Hi again, are you still there? I might have found an easier way to get the restore to complete successfully (instead of being blocked by Norton), without carrying out all of the above steps. Do keep me posted.

Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We tried yesterday to solve my ArchiCAD problems. Those problems still exist today. I found out that ArchiCAD ver 12 is incompatible with Win 10, so I've reset my operating system to Windows 7. AC still won't start....error message says Tdx.dll is missing and I should reinstall from CD. When I try, reinstall stalls out...it just quits. Through another service, I had an extensive registry clean done last night before resetting to Windows 7. Nothing seems to make a difference. Every other program on the computer works as they always have. AC says they don't support vers 12 any more and offer no help. It won't be long before I give this computer away! Any other ideas?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yesterday you suggested doing a restore, but Norton conflicted. Should I disable Norton or reinstall it and try to restore again? I don't recall how to disable Norton.....
Expert:  Barun replied 12 months ago.

Hmm, this is a tricky issue indeed. Let me open up your question to our other experts now, who will be able to assist you further with this issue. Thank you, ***** ***** do NOT rate until your issue has been resolved.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 12 months ago.

it is probably an issue with rights.

try uninstalling completely with the revo uninstaller

you can use the freeware version further down on this page

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

then

re install the cad program by right clicking on the setup program and select run as administrator

then using the custom install option if necessary change the default folder that it will install in to a different one. just change the name slightly