IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Have downloaded Windows 10,(free download) and PC tells me

Customer Question

Hi, have downloaded Windows 10,(free download) and PC tells me it is installed and activated. However no matter what I do I cannot get the "Start Up"page and cannot search for any answers as when I click on start I get nothing. Can you help please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 12 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****

The problem with non-functional start menu could occur after upgrading to Windows 10. Microsoft issued an update that should completely solve that problem. So, I suggest checking for new updates and installing them.

Here are the instructions:

1. Click inside the search box located in the bottom left corner, and type settings

2. Click on the first search result at the top - Settings

3. When the Settings window opens, click on the last option - Update & security

4. Click on Windows Update. Windows should then look for new updates and automatically start downloading them. If that doesn't happen, click on the "Retry" or "Check for updates" button

5. Wait until all the updates have been installed

6. After that, restart the computer and check if the start menu problem has been fixed

If not, let me know. There is another way to get it fixed.

Regards,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Miro
Cannot use the method you describe as there is no search box in the bottom left corner. When I click on the start button it does nothing unless as I said previously I right click on it . However it still does not open with a search box. I know what you are saying as I have Windows 10 on another computer and it works exactly as you have said it should
Expert:  IT Miro replied 12 months ago.

No problem, here is another way of accessing the Settings window:

Click on the current time and date located in the bottom right corner and then click on "Date and time settings". The Settings window will appear with several options for time and date. Once you see it, click on the back arrow located in the upper left corner to go back to the main Settings menu. From there, you can click on Update & security in order to get to the Windows Update.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello again!

Were you able to install new Windows Updates? If so, did it help solve the start menu issue?

Let me know,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.