Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have a Windows update that is 80% downloaded and several

Customer Question

I have a Windows update that is 80% downloaded and several updates waiting to either download or install. How do I get the stalled download to continue, or start over?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Have you tried to shut down / restart the computer and check?

Note: If the computer is stuck, then press and hold the power on/off button for about 10 seconds, then turn it back on and check.

If that does not work, can you go to Start->All programs->Windows Update, then Check for updates, then View updates, then uncheck / check only a few updates, then OK / update, and see if it works.

If that does not work, do you have windows xp, vista, or 7 or 8 or 10?

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have Windows 10. I tried your second option and the system totally froze up. I had to let the laptop battery go dead to get the system to shut down. Upon restarting, nothing had changed with the stuck updates

Sorry, what's the model of your Windows 10 laptop?

Can you please press and hold the Power on/off button on the laptop for about 20 seconds, then let me know what happens?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a Dell Inspiron. If I press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and the PC turns off, how do I let you know what happened?

Do you mean you are currently using the problematic computer now? Or are you at this web page on another computer or device?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I restarted the problematic laptop and it came right back to the active JustAnswer program I'm progress

Great. Please continue and see how it goes. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Continue what? We haven't solved the problem of a stuck update download

Sorry, do you mean you are currently able to use the laptop, but when you do windows update, it still get stuck right? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can use the laptop, but I can't get the stuck (partial) update download to continue or go away to start over

Thank you. Can you please try this: Press at the same time the two keys Windows and R on the keyboard, then type rstrui then click OK, then Next, and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I know what date to go back to? There were some updated installed on 12/3/15 and 12/7/15. The update numbers on these are much higher than those not installed and/or waiting to be installed

Try the date 12/3/15 please. Thank you.

Please let me know; I have more solutions for fixing windows update if system restore does not fix it. Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

It looks like you are not there. Let me provide you a couple more solutions you can try if it still does not work.

Solution #2:

- Please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool at the website below and check:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/E/7/FE74974A-9029-41A0-9EB2-9CCE3FC20B99/WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab

Reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-troubleshooter

Thank you.

Solution #2:

1. Download and save (but do not open) the file Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components.bat at the website below:

http://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/52330d1449436232-windows-update-reset-windows-10-a-reset_reregister_windows_update_components.bat

2. Right-click on the downloaded file Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components.bat, then click on Properties

, then select the option Unblock there, and confirm if prompted.

, then click OK.

3. Right-click on the file Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components.bat, then click on Run as administrator and confirm if prompted

4. Shut down / restart the computer, and check windows update.

When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don’t feel that my problem has been resolved and therefore I don’t feel that I owe JustAnswer anything at this time

I'm sorry. Is there any issue? I've been waiting for you a couple of hours ago. I will continue to help you; we guarantee our service, so don't worry.

Did you see / try my last two suggestions I've provided previously?

If you'd like to, I can also connect remotely to your computer and fix the issue directly on your computer for you.

Please let me know your option; we guarantee our service. Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't care t spend an more time on the problem tonight. I think I'll just buy a new laptop as this one is 10 years old

I'm sorry. Can I connect remotely to your computer, and I troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer for you, so you do not have to take your time doing the given troubleshooting steps yourselves. I can definitely get this fixed for you if you'd like to, so you do not have to spend a lot more for buying a new computer.

We don't have to continue tonight. If you'd like to, we can continue tomorrow or whenever you are available; we guarantee our service. Otherwise, I can cancel this for you. Please let me know your option. Thank you.