IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

On Sep. 9th I purchased a Dell desktop with Windows 8.1.

Customer Question

On Sep. 9th I purchased a Dell desktop with Windows 8.1. Immediately after booting, the OS offered to upgrade to Windows 10 Home and it did. About two weeks later I entered the Store from the Windows Settings and purchased Windows 10 Pro. The upgrade worked as expected and installed the OS and activated it. Today I had to perform a clean install and was surprised to note the new installation was Windows 10 HOME. After spending at least three and a half hours with no fewer than 17 different reps from all over the world, I still can't get either a valid product key or download location for 10 Pro. I have a copy of my order proving the $99.99 I paid. All I want is my product! It seems this is Microsoft's error in not recognizing my system as valid. Any idea as to whom I may speak with to address this issue? Thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 12 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****

May I know how exactly you performed a clean install? Did you use a Windows 10 disc or another way?

Let me know,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello again!

Do you still require assistance with this issue?

Let me know,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am currently in the hospital for tests will have to get back to you on Mon, Dec 14th.
Thank you...
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

OK, no problem.

I hope you get well soon!

Regards,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In your last response you asked how I performed the clean install. I used Microsofts media creation tool from Win 10 Pro before I deleted it. According to an MS Rep, the clean install process was supposed to recognize my digital entitlement for Win 10 Pro and install that version. Obviously, it did not. Please note that My question asks if you might know a Microsoft Supervisor or Manager and an associated phone number where I may address the digital rights issue. I've been in the business for more than 30 years and don't think either you or I will be able to solve this issue without MS support with respect to activation. Of course, if you have a suggestion, please advise. Thank you!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello again!

Normally, I would say that it is impossible to end up having Windows 10 Home installed when using the Windows 10 Pro installation media, but I may have an explanation to what has happened.

First, make sure you have indeed used the Windows 10 Pro installation media. If you are not completely sure, you can run the Windows 10 media creation tool and select to create the ISO file for Windows 10 Pro, which you can then burn onto a blank DVD. Use that DVD to re-install Windows 10.

In case you still end up having Windows 10 Home installed, just leave it as it is for about 2-3 days. During that period, your Windows 10 computer will periodically contact the activation server to verify the activation. It is possible that it will automatically convert to Windows 10 Pro without you doing anything special.

I am suggesting you that because similar issue appeared for many people who decided to upgrade to Windows 10 right after it became available. After the upgrade, their copy did not automatically activate. However, after about 2-3 days, the activation was successful.

When asked Microsoft why that happened, their response was that the activation servers were overloaded and could not process every activation request right away. I know it has been several months now since Windows 10 came out and the activation servers could not be overloaded all the time, but that is my explanation to this problem as I don't see any other.

If your copy of Windows 10 doesn't convert to the Pro edition after 3 days, you can contact the Microsoft support again. I do not have a direct contact for a supervisor, but that might not be needed. You can explain the issue to a general Microsoft representative who answers your call. Just make sure to tell them the order ID of your Windows 10 upgrade purchase. If that is not enough, you can ask them where to send a proof or purchase. When sent, such information should be forwarded to a supervisor for inspection. When they confirm you indeed purchased a Windows 10 Pro upgrade, I believe they will correct the issue on the activation server so that your digital entitlement could be properly recognized, or they will send you a Windows 10 Pro product key to manually convert the Windows 10 Home installation to Pro.

You can call the Microsoft Store department directly on this number:

1-***-***-****

Dial 3 to connect with a representative.

Let me know how that went.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 11 months ago.

Hello again!

Several days have passed since we last communicated, so I am wondering if you have tried what as I suggested. Has the problem been solved?

Let me know,