Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

The connections between my computer and my telephones are

Customer Question

The connections between my computer and my telephones are not working
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.
let me know the make and model of the printer/fax.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP Officejet J3680 All-in-One
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle, Are you waiting for me? Bob
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Bob please remove the active phone cable from the back of the all in one printer.

connect the phone line to a phone set and confirm it has dial tone. let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did move the phone line from the back of printer and connected it to a phone set and I got a dial tone. Replaced it back into printer.
Please be aware that I had a dial tone on the phone built into the fax/printer.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

unplug the phone line from the printer and connect it to the correct port on the LINE and it should not be connected the port which has a phone icon, the phone cable must be connected to LINE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michelle, Do you have an idea about how long it will be before my problem can be fixed?
I don't know how the printer, the telephones, and the modem relate to the computer and visa-versa but is it possible
to resolve it from afar?
Bob
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

yes.. i will help you step by step

let me know what all cables connect to the printer, usb cable phone cable etc??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one cable goes to printer
one cable goes to computer
two cables go to modem
one cable goes to telephone setHow do I recognize which one(s) is the usb cable? I'm afraid I tried moving the cables around so I'm not sure which ones should connect to which "slots" (jacks?).
As I mentioned before, the phone at the printer has a dialed tone and so does the phone set next to my computer
However, I can't get dial tones on the three phone extensions connected to electrical convenience wall outlets nor can I print text from my computer or receive or send faxes from my printer.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me know is there any cable that connects the printer and the computer

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

check the cables on printer..where do they get connected

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PRINTER
There are a pair of cable jacks at back of printer; left jack identified as 2 - EXT and right jack identified as 1 - LINE.
POWER cable that connects to wall outlet.
Cable identified with the symbol of a "trident" that connects to a jack on the COMPUTER with same symbol.COMPUTERPair of telephone jacks: One identified with color green & block-like symbol. The other, color blue & symbol of telephone.
Power Cable to wall.
Cable to Monitor
Cable to Keyboard
Cable to Sound control
Cable to Speakers
Cable to PRINTER
Cable to Mouse
Cable to Modem
Cable to TELEPHONE Jack at wall..MODEMCable from Cable Company
Power source
Cable to COMPUTER
Cable to Telephone Set adjacent to computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

ok ..let me know what time you can be online ..i can remote connect and check the printer connection to computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can be back here at 10:30 AM est (15 minutes).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
woops...I meant PST. I'm at my computer now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michelle, I was gone for a while. I hope you're you still there? Please let me know Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MICHELLE, IF YOU CANCELED THIS PROJECT, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD TELL ME. I NEED AN URGENT REPLY. THANKS. BOB
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

since we are in different time zones, let me know what time you can be available online and i will be online accordingly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I answered before: Between 11 am and 9 pm PST today.
Are you prepared to proceed. I NEED AN URGENT REPLY.
-
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I can only get the fax fixed as you have posted in your question however you will have to take care of other cables apart from the phone line.

All you have to make sure you hold the live phone cable check the line by connecting a phone handset and then connect the same cable to the LINE port on the printer and not on the PHONE ICON port. Phone icon port can be used as a parallel connection.

Let me know if you have any question.