Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

Am receiving calls from a person who says they are with

Customer Question

Am receiving calls from a person who says they are with Microsoft Windows. Sounds foreign. Wants me to give him access to my computer so he can "fix" IT. I just had this computer in for work at Best Buy with the Geek Squad. The number he calls from is 323- (###) ###-#### Please check this out and let me know if it is legit before I allow access. I think he is trying to scam me.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Breland replied 12 months ago.

Hello Rita. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you today.

First - this is a scam! Do not let them connect to your computer.

Expert:  Breland replied 12 months ago.

Microsoft does not operate in that type of manner. Do you see anything odd happening on your computer?

Expert:  Breland replied 12 months ago.

By odd I mean any pop-ups, warnings, etc.?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was having great difficulty until I took it in. They found viruses and corrected that and since then it is working ok. I want to know what agency I can report this group to for someone to stop them.
Expert:  Breland replied 12 months ago.

I looked into the phone number and it is associated with multiple scams similar to yours. It is not associated with Microsoft.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No, I do not need anyhthing else.
Expert:  Breland replied 12 months ago.

There are websites that you can add your report to. As for stopping them, I'm not a legal advisor so I do not know what can be done in that regard. In the past, I have contacted the Police but they were unable to do anything as well.

Expert:  Breland replied 12 months ago.

Unless they're operating as a business, which is doubtful, then they can be reported to the BBB but these "agencies" typically do not operate like that.

Expert:  Breland replied 12 months ago.

I get these calls as well from time to time and I believe it's safe to say it is not associated with the previous state of your computer. If all is working fine now, then I would say you're in the clear as long as you did not give them access.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist today. If I have answered your question, please kindly rate me. Otherwise, please feel free to ask any questions you have in regards ***** ***** Thank you!

Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 12 months ago.

What version is your BOX? Is it a FREEVIEW, FREESAT, or YOUVIEW Box?

Look at the image i put up here, and pick the right one you have.

.

Also, is this unit STILL under warranty?

When did you purchase it?

image