Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

When sending an email (as an attachment) of a spreadsheet

Customer Question

When sending an email (as an attachment) of a spreadsheet (an availability of produce items for sale by our farm) to multiple contacts, some as individual emails and some as group contacts (2 to ten contacts associated with the same organization), frequently the contacts don't receive the emails. However, if I always also check the box to email also to myself, the emailed attachments always work.
I don't want to be just "sharing" the spreadsheet with these contacts, because from day to day I may or may not want certain contacts to see the spreadsheet.
Could you please tell me why this process is only dependable when I also send the email with attachment also to myself? It ends up cluttering my inbox, seemingly unnecessarily.
Paul Holmes
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 12 months ago.

i would have to look at exactly what you were doing. you might be pulling from different group lists or something and some have a bad email address.

but i hope that you wont take offense if i say a possibility is that they do actually get the email but either dont notice or delete it but they cant say they never got it if you tell them you copied yourself.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
When I send a copy to myself, they never say they didn't get it, but frequently do say they didn't get it when I don't send the copy to myself. This has been this way for years, and I contacted you because I'm tired of getting all these emails that I'm forced to send to myself to be sure that the others to go through.I wish I could say that you have helped me, but......

i havent tried yet

what email program are you using?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm using gmail, sending single sheet docs from google drive, as attachments to the gmail.

do they get the email but not the attachment ?

i wonder if you are sending them as a link rather than the actual spreadsheet and they may not have rights to the attachment unless you are on the email and then it attaches it because it logs you in for it. or something similar.

make sure that anybody that you are sending to has rights to access those documents on your google.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
When you say "have the rights", do you mean they must also have a gmail account? And if I decided to "share" the google Drive doc., they would have to have gmail or Drive anyway, right? Why would I have to give someone "rights" to simply receive a gmail with and attachment?
I suppose I could download it as an Excel sheet and email it with Internet Explorer or something, but I would have to learn to set up new "groups" of contacts again, and this would probably be more time consuming than what I'm currently, i.e., sending myself a copy and then deleting it from my gmail inbox.I know at least two years ago, one or two contacts said they got the gmails but couldn't view the attachments, but this was even when I was also sending a copy to myself, and I think it had mostly to do with their "learning curve" and it is no longer a problem as long as I am sending a copy to myself.Nothing I can see in my gmail process says anything about a "link" being involved.

try downloading it as an excel sheet and then emailing it still through gmail

if nothing else do it as a test please so that we can pinpoint exactly where the problem is.