Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My Leader tower often makes a load buzzing noise. I think it

Customer Question

My Leader tower often makes a load buzzing noise. I think it is an alarm of some sort but I can't find any info about it
Category: Computer
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Hello Pieter, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you with this issue.

Does the sound return with other tasks running, perhaps Microsoft Office or something of that nature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Generaly it happens when browsing and/or viewing email. To me it sounds like a piezo alarm. Over heating maybe?
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

Over heating shouldn't cause a sound like that and neither should a fan. I would venture to say it's the graphics card - a short or bad driver. Do you know if your drivers are up to date?

Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

I would also suggest observing your power settings. I would turn off any energy saving settings for your motherboard (this can be done in the BIOS) and also ensure your computer is running a balanced or max performance power plan (not energy saving) in Control Panel and Power Options.
Do you turn your computer on/off very often or leave it running most of the time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, It does't sound life the Utube clip. When i say it's loud, I mean it is audible several rooms away. Short of pulling the tower apart ' I believe the noise is made by a piezo type devise. I will try looking at the power settings etc and get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I generally turn it off when not in use for a period of time.
Expert:  Breland replied 1 year ago.

It could be a malfunction in the POST speaker. It is very high pitched and provides the beeps one hears when turning the computer on. This is typically easily unplugged but requires opening the tower.