Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

How do I change from 32 bit processing to 64 bit processing

Customer Question

How do I change from 32 bit processing to 64 bit processing in Windows 10
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. The version of Windows 10 installed on a computer is either 64 or 32 bit. To switch from one to the other would require a complete reinstallation of Windows with the desired version. A 64 bit version of Windows (which is most likely what you have now) can run both 32 and 64 bit software. Can I ask what the issue is you are having?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Windows 10 version says it is both 32 bit and 54 bit but is presently in the 32 bit mode but it doesn't say how to switch to 64 bit. I have just uploaded Fallout 4 which requires 64 bit and it won't run in the present 32 bit modr. That is the problem I'm having.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have not really answered the question. Is there a way to change 32 bit to 64 bit and how would that be accomplished in Widows 10. Just telling me I have Windows 10 in both 32 bit and 64 bit isn't answering the question. Or do you not have an answer?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

You don't have both 32 bit and 64 bit. You have one or the other but not both.

If you have 32-bit Windows 10 installed now

you have to do a complete re-installation of Windows 10 to make the switch. Microsoft will allow you to do this.

First thing’s first, you’ll need to confirm whether the CPU in your computer is 64-bit capable. To do so, open the Settings app from your Start menu, select System, and select About. Look to the right of “System type.”

If you see “32-bit operating system, x64-based processor,” this means you’re using a 32-bit version of Windows 10 but your CPU can run a 64-bit version. If it doesn’t say you have an x64-based processor, you have a 32-bit CPU and can’t upgrade to the 64-bit version.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

(see attachment)