Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

HELP ...Monitor continues to blink..unable to get on

Customer Question

HELP ...Monitor continues to blink..unable to get on computer.
Category: Computer
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Welcome to Justanswer

Could you please explain your problem a bit more. do you have a laptop or a desktop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a desktop..working from other computer now as can't get on blinking one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello....anyone there?
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I didn't receive any reply back for a day and thought this was a dead link.

I am sorry for getting back late. Could you give me the model of the desktop. Furthermore do you hear any beep code( for e.g 1 long 3 short etc.) when you poweron the desktop. DO you hear the fans spinning ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still having the same issue, nothing has been resolved. and not there are no short beeps when it comes on. I have run the original disk that we received when we got the monitor as welll as did a system back up and still same problem. I also tried switching monitors but I still get the same problem. It keeps flashing between start up page and the shell.
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Seems more like a windows or device driver issue. Can you start the device in safe mode. To do so power on the system and immediately keep tapping the f8 key.

Let me know if you can get into safe mode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok one minute
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not get it to go into safe mode but i am able to bring up the start up menu with system informaton, diagnosis, boot menu, computer setup, system recovery,netwrork boot, utilities, run uefi application
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Can you go to boot mode. Tell me the boot priority or whatever is listed on your screen.

Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

To do so select Boot menu

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uefi Booot sources then windows b oog mangagee then ufei :Ipv4 network card. tjem uefi: ipv6 networkcard, then legacy boot sources
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Can you give me the computer model.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure one moment
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

After that go to diagnosis and see if there's a diagnosis option available for hard drive or hard disk

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP Pavilion 500 pc model # *****
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Also i want to know if you can get to the login screen with your username where it asks for password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tthere is a hp pc hardward diagnostics uefi menu and it has system infor, system test, component test, test logs, language
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can get to where they ask for a password ***** of course i don't remember my password ***** so i cant go any furher than that,
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Were you ever able to login before

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
actually when it boots up i can get it come up and log it but then after that it keeps flashing between two screens and i am stuck, should i run any of the diagnosis test on the HP PC hardward diagnosis page
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Nope. the diagnosis is for hardware and this doesn't point to any hardware issue in the computer.

Is this a new computer ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is about 2 years old
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Hmm. I want to make sure that you followed the correct steps to recovery your computer.

FOllow onscreen steps. Do a factory image restore and it should say restoration complete in the end.

1. Turn on the computer, and then insert your first recovery disc into the drive.

2. Press and hold the power button to turn off the computer.

3. Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as USB drives, printers, and faxes Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.

4. Turn on the computer.

5. Immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

6. In boot manager boot option menu. Use the up or down arrow key to select the CD/DVD drive. Then press Enter.

7. A black window might display and prompt you to choose whether to run Recovery Manager from the hard disk or from the disc inserted. If this window displays, select Run program from media, and then click Next.

Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Complete the Factory image restore

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok let me go and get the disk,,,,
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

yup.This might take time. But keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do
Expert:  active1065 replied 1 year ago.

Bookmark this page so that you can return back anytime.