Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10'. The new screen is

Customer Question

I just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10'. The new screen is asking for my password. I don't know what it is. Help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen? If yes, do you recognize that email address? If yes, do you currently have access to that email address or not?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Non of the above

Thank you. What's the model of your computer?

Can you please shut down the computer, then turn it back on, then let me know what it shows at each screen?

Besides the password ***** what else is showing on the screen?

I do live online support. Can I help you here?

What's the model of your computer?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi vi n

Hi, please let me know the following:

1. Do you mean you cannot open any program on the computer at all?

2. What's the model of the problematic computer?

3. Can you please shut down the computer, then turn it back on, then let me know what it shows at each screen?

4. Besides the password ***** what else is showing on the screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi vin. Please cancel call. I got password ***** nowAm trying to connect with network. Thanks len

You're welcome. Great. If you need help with connecting to network (like Wi-Fi/wireless password, if any), please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi vin. I picked xfinitywifi as an option. Response is we can't connect to Internet right now try again

Don't pick xfinity, but pick your own wireless network name.

Can you please check at the back/bottom of your internet / wireless modem / router device for the wireless network name and wireless network password ***** key, if any (it is case-sensitive.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Vietnam. Hang on it'2 floors down I'm on the way

My name is Viet :)

OK, please take your time, then let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Viet it's a net gear router Default user name is ***** ***** is password. All lower case

Do you remember your wireless network name?

What's the model of your Netgear router?

Do you have another laptop/wireless computer that is currently able to connected via wireless? If so, does it have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, or Mac?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a model wndr 4500 Other devises connected all windows 7

Thank you. Please try the following on a wireless windows 7 computer:

- Click on the network/wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen, then click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
(Or click on Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center.)
Then click on Manage wireless networks on the left.
Then click your wireless network name.
Then right-click on your wireless network name and click on Properties.
Then click on the Security tab.
Then select the box at Show characters.
Then you will see the Network security key above it, that is your Wi-Fi / wireless password. (It is case-sensitive.)

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Up another floor to get started. Sorry for the delays

No problem; please take your time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Viet 5 listed wpa2 ifsecurity password Then type any supported

Did you see the network name and password/key there? If yes, can you can you try it on the windows 10 computer? Please let me know. Thank you.

You can also go to the website below on a working computer:

http://192.168.1.1

or website http://www.routerlogin.net/

, then it will ask you to log in, then enter admin for username and enter password for password

, then click on the Wireless / wireless setting option to see your network name (SSID) and your wireless password/key/passphrase (it is case-sensitive.)

Then on the Windows 10 computer, click on the wireless/network icon at the bottom right, then select / connect to your network name.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried one to if if it would open the windows 12. I'll go back and try another. Lots a stairs. Sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back to step one upstairs to try again

OK, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no success getting connected. All results seem to be effective only on window 7 devices. Window 10 already inn stalled but is looking for wireless connection via window 7

Click on the wireless/network icon at the bottom right of the Windows 10 computer's screen, then what do you see? Please let me know. Thank you.

Or can you connect the windows 10 computer to the netgear router device with an extra ethernet/network cable temporarily, then the Internet should work, then I can connect remotely to it and fix the wireless issue for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Viet no icon is seen. Only back is on lower right of screen Ok but that has to wait until tomorrow no other solutions?

Are you able to log in the Windows 10 computer?

On Windows 10, click on Start (which is the windows logo icon at the bottom left of the computer's screen), then click on Settings, then click on Network, then can you connect to your wi-fi/wireless network name there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Viet. Nope! No way to log on unless we get connected which we've been trying to do. No window 10 icon at all. Top left center just says lets get connected

Does it give you the option to cancel / exit, etc.

If no, can you press and hold the power on/off button for about 10 seconds, then turn it back on and check?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just says back which gets us to let's get connected. Just tried the 10 second approach. Got the same lets get connected message

OK, at the page "let's get connected", what are the options? Please tell me everything you see there. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keeps switching options. Rolling hills is one 2 is hidden network 3rd and most frequent is infinity wireless. Tried them all with same results. C ant be connected now try later". Hi Viet You ok. You did good but windows 10 sure needs better update software. Thanks for your help guess I!m screwed, eh? Over and len
Tweed

Please disconnect power cord from netgear router device for a few minutes, then re-connect, then wait a bit and try again. Thank you.

I will try to help you again if you'd like to. Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Can you test connecting the problematic windows 10 computer to the Netgear router device temporarily with an extra Ethernet / network cable and turn on the computer and leaving it run for half a day or so for it to update

, then restart the computer, then see if you can connect it to wi-fi / wireless.