Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

We are getting a message on our toshiba laptop asking

Customer Question

we are getting a message on our toshiba laptop asking for a password. it says at the top PHOENIX TRUSTEDCORE (TM) SETUP UTILITY
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

The message you are receiving is whats known as a bios password. It would be different then your windows password. Bios passwords on newer computers are nearly impossible to bypass or break. Replacing the hard drive wont fix it as the password ***** ***** in the motherboards EEPROM Chip.

Before I say anymore, I'm assuming that you don't know the password ***** wants entered to get past that screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know the password ***** get me past this screen. My father passed away and we are trying to get pictures off of the computer to make a collage for the funeral so it's so important that I get this fixed.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood.

Replacing the motherboard is the only fix for the password. I can send you contact details for toshiba so you can arrange this.

But as far as the the pictures go.. There is a quicker alternative.

Order this cable set by next day air ( if you need the pictures fast )

http://amzn.to/1l0HHdh

using that cable set. I can talk you through over the phone, pulling the hard drive and then quickly getting the files you need from t he drive.

Without knowing the password, this is the only way to get to the pictures..

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much is a mother board?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Your message came in a few minutes after my shift ended and I have just returned home and checked my messages.

To find a replacement motherboard I would need to know the full and exact model of the toshiba. That would also decide cost.. It could be as low as 50$, or as much as 250$.. Wont know till we know the exact model of the Toshiba.

With that being said, A motherboard replacement is a difficult process, as its the central board inside the laptop that everything connects to. While this would be a fix for the bios issue, absolutely. It might be quicker ( and cheaper ) if we used the inexpensive cable set I mentioned and pulled the hard drive.

Now that Ive given my advice as to which way would be quicker ( to meet your time requirements for needing the photos )

Im more then happy to help you try either or both options. Again, just need to know the full name brand and model of the toshiba so I can locate a replacement Motherboard.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Toshiba Satellite A205-S5814 System Unit -- Model number PSAF3U-0P900V
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Ive found a place that still sells motherboards for that model.

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/Toshiba,Laptop,Part,V000109090.aspx

New motherboard 280$ Refurbished 120$ Plus shipping and tax if applicable.

if you have further questions or concerns, or if youd rather try the cable set I mentioned in the mean time, let me know.

Dustin S.