Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Can i down load windows 7 instillation disk do fresh install

Customer Question

can i down load windows 7 instillation disk do fresh install on my pc?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

Yes, you can - you will need a product key for it though - your OEM key won't be sufficient for a separate download, it is something you need to purchase.

You can use it for up to 30 days without the product key until you get one.

Here's the official Microsoft page you can get a copy from:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Please reply using the box below.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why do i have pay for a new key?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Well if you have an OEM version it should come with a separate partition where you can simply recover the operating system and set it to how it was when it was new.

If what you're after is a Windows 7 download like you suggested in your question then you need to pay for the product code as it is a different version to the OEM you are given when you purchase your computer.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

What's the full brand and model number of the computer you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gateway fx6400
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** ask what caused you to want to re-install Windows so I can guide you accordingly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
want put in a new solid state hd.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Oh okay, in that case you do need to purchase a new installation disc because the OEM is hard wired to your motherboard and hard drive and can only be used with that configuration.

The OEM version allows you to re-install it as many times as you like only while you keep the same hard drive and motherboard via the shortcut Alt+F10 (on startup)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess buying oem operating system is a screw job if you ever want to up the device. Thanks for nothing.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by thanks for nothing?

This is not Microsoft, it is a paid support site where you ask a question and receive an answer - sometimes the answer isn't what we want to hear but it is what it is.

I agree that OEM operating systems don't give you much versatility, I would never go with OEM myself but it does allow them to bring down the final price of the computer significantly.

Your options are to either install the SSD as a secondary hard drive or to purchase a new product code.