Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  21 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network
21913621

I have a problem with my windows media player, a red x comes

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. I have a problem with my windows media player, a red x comes up next to songs that I have created on my playlist, and when you go to look for song again it has been completely deleted from my library
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my library was created with CD's that I have installed on my laptop, and also a library from a friend who's a DJ, that I installed from an external HD, I have had this library for several years, this is a new Dell laptop 2014, and only used for music listening, on occasion a red x will appear next to some of the songs I have created and when you click the red x it tells you that song doesn't fit?? and the song just disappears completely from the library
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Computer Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: well I am at work the computer I have problems with is at home
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 1 year ago.

I will be happy to assist you with your issue. The problem you are describing typically happens when a specific file in the library is moved to a different directory or the file is renamed for some reason. You see, when you create a playlist whether it is based on a library folder or if it is individual files that you added manually, Windows Media Player just creates a text entry in a list that includes the location and name of the file. As a result if you remove a file from its directory outside of WMP, and then open up the playlist, the program will not be able to find the file. It will put a red X next to it, and then give you an error if you try to play it. Then it will remove the entry from the list.

It is possible that this is what happened to your files. There are other options, but they are far less likely. So can you tell me, is this possible? Were some file placed in a different directory, renamed, or otherwise re-organized? If so, it would account for your entire problem. If not, let me know and we will move to the next step in resolving the problem.