Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

This is ***** *****. You're actually there? Happy

Customer Question

Customer: Hi James - This is ***** *****. You're actually there? Happy Thanksgiving.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My wife's Dell Dimension 9200 (DXP061 BIOS 2.3.1) has gotten into a no-start loop - will usually get just past the splash screen with the model and BIOS info, power down, and self restart. I've unplugged it, held the power button for 30 seconds, tried again - same results. Somewhere along the line it told me the trouble was related to an Ithr condition. A few laps around the internet mentioned overheating, bloated mobo capacitor(s), heatsink trouble, USB issues.... When it starts up, I get fan and hard drive action, num***** *****ghts sequence, then 1 and 4 briefly, followed by 2 and 3 steady. Can't get into setup or the boot menu. The first try after I disconnected all USB devices (but then had to reconnect the wireless keyboard and mouse dongle because of the keyboard error) it did get into the Windows startup and I elected to choose 'repair', ok to restore, but when it went into a reboot I was back into the loop.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Computer Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure, I can wait; if I'm away from the computer when you reach out, will it simply wait for me to get back, or should I stay glued to the screen?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me which version of windows you have installed on the Dell?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Win 7 - not sure if Home or better, auto-updated
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Power off the Dell, then power it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu

Tell me if you can get to this menu please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cannot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just keeps power cycling - ususally gets nowhere; twice has gotten as far as running the repair routine, then abruptly power cycles again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It the motherboard, this is clear then.

It will be a capacitor that's failing an causing the chipset to restart or the voltage regulator. This is not a software issue

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Dell to have the motherboard replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - thanks anyway
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

your welcome

If you need anything else, please let me know

And please remember the service rating.

Thank you