Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I am getting a "Paper Jam" error when trying to scan. I have

Customer Question

I am getting a "Paper Jam" error when trying to scan. I have tried all suggested quick fixes and they failed to restore system operation. I have scanned one hour before the problem started.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your scanner, let me know the make and model.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neat model ND 1000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my response?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

what is the brand name of the printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

There are a few possible causes for this including:

• There is paper jammed inside the scanner.
  • A paper jam was recently cleared and then the scanner would not feed paper afterwards
  • If you just received your scanner and get this message on the first scan, it’s likely internal parts where shifted out of place in the scanner during shipping.

Please try the following to resolve your issue:

First, Power off the scanner by the switch located on the back.

Press the black tab to the right of the “CARDS” slot on your scanner. The front of the unit will pop open.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Inside, just above the rubber roller in the middle, you’ll see a black plastic piece with two rubber flaps. Nudge this piece to the left and hold it in place then you’ll be able to swing the piece upwards.

Turn the large rubber roller behind the flaps with your finger to make sure nothing is caught there. The wheel will only spin in one direction (downwards). Once done, put the flaps back down into place.

On the door side of the scanner, you’ll see there are two clear plastic flaps. In between these flaps you should see a small black piece of plastic sticking out. Tap this piece to make sure it goes in and pops back out.

If you do not see the small black plastic piece between these two clear flaps, it may be stuck inside the scanner. Please try using a paper clip or utility screwdriver to gently poke in the hole between these flaps to try to free the piece.

Once done, close the front of the scanner and try scanning another item.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

check the picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those are the troubleshootings that I got from Neat. I tried again and it doesn't work.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you will have to check the paper feed sensor from the paper feed side use a flashlight to check if its swinging it its stuck. Sensor is a small plastic tab with a spring tension. It showed go down when a paper is inserted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

did you check the picture i sent you attached on this chat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sensor is not stuck, checkedwith flash light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Saw the picture, same as the one on Neat site. Checked it also. It is clean and moves freely.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

ok good sensor is not stuck, unplug he power cable from the scanner and let it sit for 3 mins.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unplugged
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

There would be some piece of paper, clips, paper sticker or something which might be stuck inside the printer and you are not able to access it.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

turn it upside down and shake it well for few times. If still not working then you need to open it up as much that you can access or see if something is really stuck,The electrical sensor and parts which receives signal from the mechanical paper sensor to detect jam may have issues either there is dust on it or its gone bad and might need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned upside down and shook. No rattles nor debris.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been three minutes, trying again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still getting error.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

error persists?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Looks like a bad sensor. how old is the scanner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 years old, just used it this morning, worked fine.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

i understand it did work this morning however its a bad sensor or as i stated earlier that there could be something there would be some piece of paper, clips, paper sticker or something which might be stuck inside the scanner. As its not under warranty you my try opening the cover further to access the inside and if you find difficult opening it then you would need to take the scanner to a repair shop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to say, we can identify the cause of the problem however detected hardware problems can only be solved and fix when the bad part is replaced, most probably the paper feed sensor is bar and if not then there is something inside which the sensor is sensing as jam due to paper piece or any other debris.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I consider my question answered? Am I charged for this diagnosis?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

justanswer.com is a premium service, I have tried to fix the problem though its a hardware fault detected in that case its understood that we can only get this working till the bad part is replaced or the debris is removed which is inside the scanner and the one we cannot access that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please answer my question
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

yes it is a charged service as i stated above its a premium service.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

If you feel that I have earned a favorable rating, please remember to rate my level of service. If not, you can choose not to provide a rating. Please do not use a negative rating as i have provided you professional and truthful information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your advertisements say I will be charged if my question is answered. I do not believe my question was answered. I told you in the beginning that I had performed all the steps you gave me from the Neat troubleshooting guide. You provide no additional troubleshooting help and are only guessing at the problem.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but we did a troubleshooting to which the outcome was a hardware sensor fault detected in that case repair is required. If you dont want to pay no problem however rating negative will not lead to a refund or so however you may contact customer care if you are not satisfied that we did troubleshoot to identify the problem.