Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have a second user on my chrome book. I can access my

Customer Question

I have a second user on my chrome book. I can access my account, but when the second user tries to access their's, they get message saying sign-in restricted to owner's account. This has not been a problem until today.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. When that message "sign-in restricted to owner's account" appears, does it let you do anything?

Is there a google / gmail email address account for the main user account and/or the second user account?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Can you please access the main user account, then

1. Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears.
  2. Select Settings and find the "People" section.
  3. Click Manage other users.
  4. Then make sure you don't restrict anything, etc.

- Please see full details / instructions at the website below:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1059252?hl=en

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is are separate gmail accounts for both users. There are no restrictions.

Can you press and hold the Refresh and Power buttons to restart the Chromebook, and check.

If that does not work, you did check in the section Manage other users in the main account right?

In the main account, can you go to the website below and sign in the main account's gmail address and check:

https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/manage

Please let me know. Thank you.

- If needed, in the main account, go to the Gmail website http://www.gmail.com/ then sign out the main account's gmail address if it's signed, then sign in the second account's gmail address at the Gmail website, and see if it works fine. Then restart the computer, then see the second account can log in. Please let me know. Thank you.

If that still does not work, something is corrupted in the system; we can reset the system, then it should work:

1. Sign in with your main user account.
  2. Click the status area where your account picture appears.
  3. Click Settings > Show advanced settings.
  4. In the Powerwash section, click Reset.
  5. In the box that appears, click Restart and sign in with your main account's Google / gmail address.
  6. Follow the instructions in the box.
  7. Then you can restart and add / sign in the second account's google / gmail address.

- Another way to reset.

1. Sign out of your Chromebook, or restart the Chromebook.
  2. When the sign-in screen appears, press and hold at the same time the 4 keys: Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R.
  3. Then do Powerwash / Reset.

When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.