Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

What causes the screen to change from normal size to small

Customer Question

What causes the screen to change from normal size to small (10%) to extra large (400%) when I am typing or trying to look up something?
I don't use a mouse and a lot of the time the pointer (or whatever you call it) won't move. I have to shut down the computer before it will move again and I can use my computer.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. You may have accidentally used the scroll wheel, if any, on the mouse. Or you may have press at the same time the two keys Ctrl and + (plus) at the same time on the keyboard, that would increase the size of the page, and pressing at the same time Ctrl and - (minus) at the same time to decrease the size of the page.

You can use these suggestions to increase/decrease the size any time without needing to shut down / restart the computer.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not doing either of those things.

I'm sorry. Is this a laptop or desktop?

Does this issue only occur in Internet Explorer program? And/or in any other program?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a laptop with Windows 8. Mostly it is when I am using internet explorer but it has happened when I use google chrome. It happens when I am looking things up, playing a game, on facebook and other times. Someone told me I could have a virus that's what makes it happen. I'm not sure its been doing that for quite some time. Like right now, my cursor is not showing up when I use the pad. I'm going to have to close the lid and leave it for awhile before I can send this to you.

Thank you. If you have a USB mouse, can you test disabling the built-in touchpad/mousepad on the laptop and use only the USB mouse and check? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a mouse right now.

Sorry, can you get a mouse later? This is so that we can test if the touchpad is causing issue or not. In the mean time, let me provide some possible solutions. Please wait a bit. Thank you.

Solution #1: Download and install the Touchfreeze program:

http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/downloads/list

, and the TouchpadPal program:

http://tinyurl.com/chgt9so

http://tpp.desofto.com/

Solution #2:

- Close all Internet Explorer windows / folders. Then go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Internet Options, then click on Delete..., then delete only Temporary Internet files and websites files, then click on the Advanced tab, then click on the button Reset..., then click on Reset, then check Internet Explorer.

- Open Google Chrome program, click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner in Chrome, then click on, then select History and recent tabs, then then click on History, then click on Clear browsing data..., then at option Obliterate the following items from, select the option the beginning of time, then check only these two boxes Cached images and files and Hosted app data, then click on Clear browsing data at the bottom, then wait until it finish.

, then click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner in Chrome, then click on Settings, then scroll down to bottom, then click on Show advanced settings option if shown. Then scroll down to bottom, then click on Reset settings, then click on Reset and wait a bit until it's done resetting. Then close Chrome, then re-open it and use and check.