Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I was working on an untitled document that had never been

Customer Question

I was working on an untitled document that had never been saved before, but auto save recovery settings were set to every 1 minute. The computer shut down for Dell updates, now the document will not show up in recovery. where is it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your word file

Ususally its impossible to recover an unsaved document as that file itself has no location set to get auto saved

however few steps can be tried

let me know the version of word installed

also let me know if you have windows xp, vista, 7, 8 or 10

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
office 2013 windows 10
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Click "File" at the top left of the screen.

Click "Info" at the top of the left-hand menu

Click the "Manage Versions" button in the Info pane.

Select "Recover Unsaved Documents" from the drop-down menu....if you are bale to find your file

Click "Open" when you've selected the document you want to recover

Click "Save As" at the top of the screen.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after clicking "open" there are no documents to "save as"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why didnt auto save recovery set to every 1 minute, save anything? untitled or not, it must be somewhere....
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

As i mentioned earlier its impossible to recover an unsaved document as that file itself has no location set to get auto saved.

Auto save recovery will not be able to save it as i has no location set already however its lost in that case unfortunately you will not be able to recovery that file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to prevent that from happening again, should there be a title? will title keep document from being lost? Dell laptop shutdown to do update. i spent 3 hours on document. is something as simple as "title" the missing link here? auto save recovery wont save without title? is title the key to this mess?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

yes...the best practice to be followed is that when start making a document, save it first with a file name

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

also make it a habit to press CTRL and S keys together in between while you type as CTRL and S is the shotcut key sequence to save the file

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

also whenever a windows update is running you will get a notification saying that computer needs to restart..you can postpone the restart to upto 4 hours

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you have any more questions

I hope you understand that in case of unsaved documents, recovery is impossible and as an expert i can only suggest precautionary steps that you take next time onwards to avoid data loss

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stressful experience with mid term exam tomorrow. thanks for your suggestions.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

i understand..also just for your knowledge you can refer to screenshot of the official microsoft page about this issue

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

it clearly states that auto recover saves it from the moment you last saved the file

but if a file was never saved, auto recover will not be able to help

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats correct. file wasnt saved or named because i was in the middle of typing it. so before i even start a file, it should have name as step #1?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Yes thats the best practice if you use word extensively.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions.