Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I have a ThinkCentre with windows7-64 bits with a hard disk

Customer Question

I have a ThinkCentre with windows7-64 bits with a hard disk and CD/DVD TSST corp CD DV DW TS- H653J and every time, I tried to boot
American Megatrend aptio 4.6.4, Version 1.24.1115 copywright (C) 2008 American Megatrend,inc. Comne on and tell me:
error 0199: System Security- Security password ***** count exceeded on last boot.
There is a password ***** that system wich I dont known where it come from.
I want to know.
If you are able to restart this computer. Thank you.
ANDRE *****
*******@******.**
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

Your only option is to press <F1> to enter BIOS setup.

It is not possible to boot any OS nor enter any recovery consoles.

The SVP has been initiated, and in order to clear it, the settings must be wiped within BIOS.

I have had some luck with removing the BIOS battery, and shorting out the pins for the battery, which can drain the power from the capacitors that are keeping the BIOS settings alive. And obviously, just removing the BIOS battery has no effect until ALL the power is drained.....hence, shorting out the battery contacts (touching them together with some metal) to discharge all remaining power in the inline capacitors. However this doesnt always work, and really is not practicalt on a laptop, as those BIOS batteries are typically SOLDERED right to the mobo, making removal VERY difficult.

SOLUTION:
If you have lost the SVP (SuperVisor Password), chances are you will need to have the system board replaced.

However, if you do manage to regain your SVP but are unable to get rid of the "ERROR 0199" message, try this:
1) Enter BIOS setup utility with your SVP
2) Press F9 to restore default settings
3) Press F10 to save settings and reboot

BACKGROUND:
Even if you regain your SVP, it may be troublesome to get rid of the 0199 error.
In the Hardware MANUAL, the instructions are to enter BIOS setup and press F10 to save the settings. Changing security settings, disabling/changing passwords, clearing the security chip - any of these MAY NOT get the ERROR to go away.
While not making much logical sense, restoring the BIOS to factory defaults triggers the error to disappear.
I think this is a bug in the BIOS. The error should have disappeared after entering the correct SVP and saving settings with F10, as instructed by the manual. Restoring default settings does not seem related to clearing the state of the security system. But it works.