Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

D-Link DWA-171 Not compatible with Windows10

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome Greg

To clarify, you are getting the message to install with administrator privileges?

Is this correct on the issue you are having?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My user login has administrator priveledges but on running the install menu an "administrator" blocks the installation. I am using Windows 10 but the software might be for older versions of Windows
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What is the exact message you get when it fails Greg?

I need to know this please.

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The answer (and I would have done a screen capture if I could) is "not trusted" Surely D-Link would not market a product that did not pass Microsoft standards. The USB port was purchased from Dick Smith
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Microsoft can be overly protective for software, especially network software.

Instead of double clicking the file to install it, right click it and choose Run as Administrator and perform the installation this way.

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both the autorun and .exe failed the Administrator test!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, but I need the exact message please when it fails

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't let me screen capture the message, but it said unsupported software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, click my link below please and download the windows 10 driver

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/product/dwa-171-wireless-ac-dual-band-usb-adapter

You will see it under Drivers, it appears your using a really old driver.

This should then install for you.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please