Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

Replaced the screen in my acer 5517. haven't used this

Customer Question

replaced the screen in my acer 5517. haven't used this computer since 2014. can't remember my password ***** have tried all my old passwords from the past that I can remember and have kept in a book. what can I do or how can I change my password.?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Can you please confirm your Acer laptop has Windows 8 (or windows xp, vista, or 7 or 10, etc.)?

Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen? If yes, do you recognize that email address? If yes, do you currently have access to that email address?
Is it okay to reset the computer fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 8. username--xxxxxx----it is okay to reset computer fresh I have it sitting here beside me ready to go.

Thank you. Please try the following:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset your PC, and continue.
    When prompted, select the option "Just remove files", and continue.

Do you see the menu / Troubleshoot option? Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.