Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Every time I log into skype on my computer ounder my user

Customer Question

hello , every time I log into skype on my computer ounder my user there is a folder called WPPMedia, and when I click on it.....it opens this ETL file and a BAK file :
Skype_MediaStack-x.x.xxxx.xxx-lcsmedia_vnext_release(rtbldlab)-x86fre-U
can you tell me what it is and why does it pop up ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Where is this folder located?

Does it let you delete that folder?

When did this issue first occur?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
it is located under my users folder named "Tracing", when I click on it opens another folder named "WPPMedia" .When I open WPPmedia I get 2 files one is a ETL File and the other one is a BAK file"Skype_MediaStackETW- xxxxx-lcsmedia_vnext_release(rtbldlab)-x86fre-U.etlI put X's instead of the actual numbers.It does let you delete the filesI noticed it a couple of weeks ago after my PC got hacked.I have a desk top with windows 7I did my own test and left that folder open as I logged into Skype every time I log in it gives me those ETL and BAK filesThe guy that hacked my computer worked for me, I am wondering if this is some type of Logger or software that can access my camera

What's the full path of the folder? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean , by full path?

The path of the folder WPPMedia, such as C:\Users\Tracing\AppData\Roaming\Skype\WPPMedia, etc.

Can I connect remotely to your computer, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
C:\Users\Charlie\Tracing\WPPMediaI rather not have you log on to PC

I'm sorry. With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403

Remote support is easier and quicker for you as I do all the troubleshooting steps for you. Otherwise, I will provide written instructions.

Can you right-click on the Skype icon at bottom on Taskbar, then click on Quit and confirm Yes, then see if you can delete the folder WPPMedia . Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lol , I know I can delete it...I even told you that when you asked me.I wanted to know what it is and why its there. but thanks anyways

I'm sorry; I just want to test something. But the WPPMedia folder is normal. Though it looks like it's a bug from Skype:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/skype-7-1-keeps-making-a-Tracing-file-im-my-docs/td-p/3857174

Is Skype still working fine? Is there any issue on the computer?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry , but did you understand my original question of what I wanted to know?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

it appears to be a part of windows live messenger that tracks the location of video and messenger files.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/appearance-of-a-folder-named-tracing-affecting-the/71a3393a-24a6-4bcf-be58-0124c61df3fb?auth=1

i suspect that this was dumped into skype when they started using microsoft live logins with skype.

i wouldnt worry about it as it seems more of a debugging and tracking program for microsoft than any attempt to hack you.