Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.
59725966

Upon installing all new color print cartridges Office Jet

Customer Question

Upon installing all new color print cartridges for my Office Jet 6700 Premium e-All-In-One, error message appears on its screen stating "Missing or failed printhead" and states four possible solutions to problem, all of which I have tried several times without success. The one suggesting cleaning of printhead, after clicking on "Show Me", does not respond. When accessing software on my mainframe computer which is connected by cable to the printer, it does not indicate any problem, but when I click a command to print a document or image it indicates that the printhead appears to be missing, not detected, incorrectly installed, or incompatible. My printer Firmware Version
MPM3CN1204AR; Serial No. CN24G2G1W405RQ; Service ID 22289; IK No. 778;
Software Version 025.000.619.000; Printer Driver Version 06.64.00.994.
My Name: Bates B. Bowers, email***@******.***. Please advise ASAP.
Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Bates.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.