IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Should I stop running start up repair after 16 hours

Customer Question

should I stop running start up repair after 16 hours
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lenovo rescue & recovery startup repair has been running for 16 hours. Should I continue to wait or stop it and try a different solution?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

You should cancel the startup repair since it should take only minutes for it to do its job, not hours! Please restart the computer and check if Windows can start normally.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I cancel the operation it says "cannot be cancelled". The problem starting when windows would not close after 24 hours. I closed it with the on/off button and the system will not reboot. It goes into recovery mode and has been there since last night. I don't know what to do at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you suggest
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please press the power button on your computer and hold it until the computer has been shut down. After that, power it back on and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The same thing happens. It goes directly into rescue and recovery startup repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you suggest?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

It seems that something has happened to boot files which are needed to properly load Windows 7.

Please restart the computer and then keep pressing the F8 key rapidly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu. Once you see that menu, select the Repair Your Computer option and press Enter. Wait for a while and follow the on-screen instructions. You should get to the window that has several repair options. Select System Restore there.

When you click on System Restore, follow the on-screen instructions where you can choose one restore point based on a date to revert system settings back to that date (when all worked fine). Wait for the process to finish and it will automatically restart the computer. Hopefully, the problem will be gone. Don't worry about your personal files as they won't be affected by System Restore.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The F8 key does not function. Advance boot option menu does not appear. It still loads basic windows files then goes directly to the rescue and recovery screen (with no options available) and starts the start up repair.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

You can shut down the computer, power it back on and try again with the F8 key.

If that doesn't work, you will need to have a Windows 7 disc so that you can access the repair options.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there something I can download? No disks were provided with the system
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

In case you don't have any disk, you can download the necessary files to create a Windows 7 repair disk.

I will provide the full instructions, but first, let me know if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit of Windows 7 installed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 64 bit Windows 7 professional
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information!

Please click on the link below to download the ISO file for the Windows 7 64-bit repair disc:

http://tinyurl.com/olquzjf

Once downloaded, you will need to burn it onto a blank CD using any image burning program. You can use a program called Free ISO Burner which can be downloaded on this link:

http://tinyurl.com/no2zumy

Start Free ISO Burner and insert a blank CD. Click Open and locate the ISO file you downloaded and then click Burn. After you have burned the disc, eject it and insert it into your affected computer. Restart the computer and set booting from the CD/DVD drive.

You will be asked to press any key to continue. Select the language and the existing Windows 7 installation. Once you come to the "System Recovery Options" screen, you can choose between several repair options. My suggestion is to go with the System Restore to restore Windows and program settings to an earlier point in time, when all worked fine. To do that, click on System Restore. You can check the "Show more restore points" check-box there so that you can see all available restore points. Choose one and continue.

If the restoration worked, your Windows 7 computer will restart and boot normally.

In case you encounter problems, I am here to help you further.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded the repair file and burned to CD. I am able to set the boot to the DVD drive, but it ends up with the same useless recovery screen that offers no options and tries to fix it with the startup repair. I don't know what do.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to access the System Restore as suggested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally got the system recovery option screen, however after it searched for recovery options, the screen froze and now it just disappeared. Now a new screen has appeared "reimage your computer". Its now" scanning for system image disks". I don't understand????
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Good morning!

Let me know the status of your Windows 7 computer. Has anything changed since yesterday?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. No, the system could not locate restore points or images. It still will not boot up properly. Is there any thing else I can do?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

That's strange.

Please tell me if your computer is a laptop computer or a desktop computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Desktop. Lenovo ThinkCentre M75E (model 5042A13).
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Please boot the Windows 7 Repair Disc again and once you see the "System Recovery Options" screen, select Command Prompt.

There execute these two commands:

bootrec /fixboot

and

bootrec /fixmbr

Note that there is a space after "bootrec". I am attaching a picture of how it should look like. See it below.

After you see that both of the commands completed successfully, exit the Command Prompt window and click on Restart.

Remove the Windows 7 Repair Disc and check the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Performed commands successfully as instructed, I rebooted and received the following "Error 1962: No operating system found. Press any key to repeat boot sequence". Then I rebooted and went into bios and changed the boot sequence back to default (so it wouldn't try to boot from dvd) and windows loaded files and I see a Lenovo screen with no options available.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Since none of the repair options worked, I am starting to believe something has happened to the hard disk drive that contains the Windows installation files.

For that reason, I suggest disconnecting the hard disk drive and cleaning both the the hard disk drive and the cables of dust. There may not be any dust, but disconnecting and reconnecting the hard disk drive could solve the problem. After reconnecting it, check if Windows will boot as before.

In order to get to the hard disk drive, you will need to unscrew several screws on the computer housing. It shouldn't be that hard to do it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Opened the computer, cleaned dust and disconnected HD cables as instructed however no change when I attempted reboot. Basic windows files load and then a Lenovo screen with no options.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please restart the computer and keep pressing the F1 key. That should take you to the BIOS.

Once you are there, enter the System Summary.

Let me know what you see for detected SATA drives.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
detected:
SATA DRIVE 0: WDC WD5000AAKS-08VOAO
SATA DRIVE 1: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH60N
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK. A hard disk drive has been detected; however, I am not quite sure what happened since Windows cannot boot properly.

Do you happen to have a Lenovo recovery disk?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's what was originally running the startup check that ran for 16 hours without fixing the problem.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I see.

Please try again with the Windows 7 Repair Disc:

On the "System Recovery Options" screen, select Startup Repair. See what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Startup repair is currently running (says this can take more than I hour). The problem is it the recovery program only recognized Windows 7 on the D: Local Drive with 0 mb on the systems recovery page. Then it says if your operating system is not listed click on load drivers and then install drivers for your hard drive. Do drivers need to be installed before recovery recognizes the C: drive?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

No, it should be detected right away.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what else to suggest you. It looks either the current the Windows installation has been corrupted, or something has happened to the hard disk drive since none of the repair options can fully detect Windows and repair it.