Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have experienced a strange problem on my yahoomail address

Customer Question

I have experienced a strange problem on my yahoomail address for the last two months. Since over a year
I have been receiving apparently nonsensical with a sexsual emails that I eventually redirected into spam but stop deleting them when I started suspecting that they were sent to me by someone who knew me and my email address too, whom ultimate goal was and still is to harass me.
These emails, at the beginning, showed my real email address and very awcword senders email addresses to which I could not replay or forward any messages without receiving the failure delivery notice back.
Eventually my email address was never the real one , mine , but became everchanging to different ones
Now has evolved in a new way where alternative addresses or mine do not show up at all.
At the end of august my laptop was stolen (I think from the very person who is sending me these emails) and about 2 weeks later a new oddity was showing: I received more of the suspicious emails but this time after I had opened to read them I realized that the next time I would open my spam these emails had doubled or tripled and along with them all the other emails precedently opened would do the same.
Problem was and is that if I had checked even only one of the doubled emails to delete it, all of the already read messages would simultaneously vanish so that I could and can no longer save and redirect some of them into their specific files.
How can I possibly fix this problem? Could you help me with that/ or what else should I do ???? Thank you
I
Category: Computer
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ester and Welcome. I'm Joel and I look forward to assisting you today with your question. Do you access your Yahoo mail via the web or using an email client like Thunderbird? It is possible for someone to send you emails and fake the sender address (reply to). So your saying that the emails are coming from different senders each time? Is there a reason why you're wanting to save them? It is up to you, but if you like you could attach one here and I can analyse the email headers on it and also the content and check if it is related to any common spam/scams. Thanks Joel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your answer to my question is not what I am looking for.
what I need to know is why after opening the malicious emails they replicate themselves and all the other opened emails in my inbox.
When I delete one of the replicated emails ALL the emails in my inbox disappear. Can you find and fix this problem. For your information I access my yahoo Mail through the web
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Ester, I have not seen this issue before. I will opt-out so another expert can assist you.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i think for this one i would have to log in to your system remotely and look at it with you

it might be a virus but it seems unlikely that would affect yahoo through the web.

I have a few ideas of what it might be starting with the person got you on a few xx rated mailing lists. those will keep spamming you from different email addresses but the thing with deleting one vs everything i really want to see. It might have to do with marking them as spam and yahoo deleting everything from that address if you delete one of them