Steve
Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Steve is a consultant in the areas of computer software and programming, information management and networking.
47680681

I want to play 1996 E. Civil War General. Everytime I try

Customer Question

I want to play 1996 Robert E. Lee Civil War General. Everytime I try to play it says its not compatible with 64 bit version of Windows. Please contact Server vender if a 64 bit compatible version is available. The vender is dead.. help me play this game...

I have windows 10
Category: Computer
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your issue trying to run the game. I'm hoping that you had Windows 7 prior to Windows 10 and that the game ran under Windows 7. If you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows XP, there's no guarantee that it will run at all under Windows 10, I'm afraid to say. But it's worth a try.

What you need to do is to trick windows into thinking it's running an older, non-64-bit version of Windows. You do this by setting the "compatibility mode" option. Here's what you should do:

1. Swipe in from the right and tap Search.
  2. Type run programs in the Search box.
  3. Select Run Programs Made for Previous Versions of Windows, and then choose Next.
  4. Select the game from the list. If you don't see it, choose Not Listed.
  5. Choose Next and then follow the instructions in the troubleshooter (they will vary based on what the program needs to run).

Please give this a try and then chat me back. If it doesn't work, then there are some other things we can try. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
answer did not work, i'm paying 68$ for a incorrect answer. Ive been a loyal customer, please refund me. thanks
Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.
Hey, I can certainly understand this being a frustrating issue, I have a few things you can try.My first question would be is the program letting you actually install it, or is it throwing a prompt up during installation saying it is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running?If it is not letting you install the game at all here’s what I suggest you do:1.) Open “My Computer”2.) From this screen right click your optical disc drive and select “open”.3.) Locate the Setup executable file for the game, right click this file and hit “properties”.4.) There will be a compatibility tab on this screen, you will want to browse there and set the options so that it is running in compatibility mode for windows ’95. If you continue having issues you could also run the compatibility troubleshooter on the same page.5.) Select “apply” and “ok”.IF this is not the issue and the game is installed but not playing correctly locate the executable that you would normally use to run the game. Right click the executable and go to “properties”. From here follow steps “4” and “5” with this file. Also, with this being an older game. You may run into further issues. You may run into an error saying you are missing a dll file since the game you are describing predates the use of direct x. If you are in fact prompted for a file called “Wing32.dll” I would suggest, A.) You find a machine that still has XP (friends, family, co-worker, etc.) search for that file and copy it or B.) (At your own risk) search for a valid copy of the file on the internet and download it. After downloading drop the file in this location “c:\windows\SysWOW64.

Try the above if none of this works you may be able to run it in an emulator. Hope it helps J
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I tried your idea of running the setup under Windows 95 compatibility. So I can't even install the game.

Here's the exact error that displays:

Title: Unsupported 16-Bit Application

Message: The program or feature "\??\D:\setup.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

Also, I never upgraded to Windows 10, so I sill have Windows 7.

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, please remember that I'm just the messenger. You can't run a 16-bit program under Windows 7. You need Windows XP to do that, sorry.

If I answered your question, can you please accept the answer? Until you accept it I don't get paid anything for helping you. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well is there anything I can do? Can I set up my computer to run Windows XP and Windows 7?

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't recommend that. Probably the best solution is to create a virtual machine and install Windows XP on the virtual machine. You can run the game from there. You'll need:

1) Virtual machine software and

2) A licensed copy of Windows XP.

You can download a free copy of the VMWare Player that will enable you to create and run a VM.

I can't help you with the copy of Windows XP because you need a license for it.

Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Another suggestion I would take prior to setting up a VM purchasing a windows license etc. would be to visit this site to ensure there has not been any patches that could also help with this issue.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/CivilWarGeneralsSeriesUpdates.html

BTW, you only need a license to download XP mode if you are running Windows 7 home. If you upgrade to 7 premium you will be able to run XP mode through VMWare Player for free. I would suggest this over attempting to get a license copy of XP as the upgrade for 7 can be done without having to search for a valid copy of xp. Here is a link that will assist you with this upgrade.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/videos/upgrade-to-another-edition-of-windows-7-by-using-windows-anytime-upgrade

After you have upgraded from 7 home to pro follow these steps in the below link to setup your VM with XP mode. Hope this helps! :)

http://www.duxburysystems.com/documentation/megadots/vmware.htm

Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry correction on the above comment, upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, not premium :)

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Please let me clarify what I wrote earlier. I'm not talking about Windows XP compatibility in Windows 7. I'm talking about running the Windows XP operating system on a computer, whether the computer is a real or aq virtual machine.

You cannot run a 16-bit program in Windows 7. Period. With any compatibility mode.

To run the game, you must run it on the Windows XP operating system. The best and easiest way to do that, if you don't already have a PC with Windows XP installed, is to create a virtual machine, install Windows XP on the virtual machine, and run the game from that "computer."

Does that make sense?

Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

...You are misinforming him what your describing is setting up XP mode which is supported in Windows 7 pro and above and doesn't require him to go out and purchase a Windows XP License. Ken, so long as you follow those links I sent you, you will be fine. Here is the latest link to download XP Mode "it appears MS may have shuffled their site around a bit". I would also use their recommended program "Windows Virtual PC" instead of VM Ware.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

If you already have Windows 7 pro you have access to download XP for free to Create the VM in XP mode, again all explained in the links I sent you. Let me know if this doesn't work. Thanks!

Expert:  buckt85 replied 1 year ago.

I think you may be misunderstanding what XP mode is, it is not running anything in compatibility mode. It is similar to a basic virtual machine with a few extra convenient twists. Feel free to read up on it through the link in my previous post

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I thought you were running a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Are you running the 32-bit version?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, so XP mode won't work for me. Any chance of using a virtual machine if I upgrade to Windows 10?