Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I would very much appreciate your help on problems that I am

Customer Question

I would very much appreciate your help on problems that I am having with Windows 10. In August I received the free update from Windows 8.1 pro to Windows 10 and everything worked well. In September there was a reason that I was required to restart the computer. It started OK but I could not get access to it and a message stated that it could not find my user profile even though I entered my correct pass word. I tried everything I know which isn't much without success. The computer was still under warranty at Harvey Normans so I took it to their computer repair department and they also experienced the same problem as me. After nearly a week they decided the only way was to reload Windows 10 from a new disc which cost $150 and which I now have.
The computer works fine but this Windows 10 is much inferior to the one that I uploaded. There are numerous small problems that I can live with. But the one problem that I need to fix is the start menu which no longer functions correctly. If I right click it I get a list of items including shut down in plain text. Whereas before clicking it got me a load of items with icons alongside which were useful and also gave me access to Apps which I can no longer get and is my main problem. I have tried to reinstall the windows apps package by using Windows Powershell and pasting Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} in the powershell window and then hitting Enter on the keyboard but nothing appears to happen. I got this information when I googled my problem.
I would appreciate any help you could give me, unfortunately I am a little deaf which makes phone calls difficult so an email answer would be best for me.
Best regards
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Mike and welcome

When you right click you get items such as Control Panel, Command Prompt ect correct?

Same as when you press the windows key + X ?