arsufi2002
arsufi2002, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified
50085326

I recently purchased a VGI MSI R9 380 gaming 4g rtl graphics

Customer Question

Hello! I recently purchased a VGI MSI R9 380 gaming 4g rtl graphics card , after I installed it initially I turned on the computer and got no display on my monitor. The card was lighting up and the fans were spinning but no display. I put in my old gpu, uninstalled all of my previous amd drivers and updated my bios. (My motherboard is an msi 970A-G43). After taking those steps the same problem still occurred. The only other fix I tried was switching the 6 pin power connector it was plugged into. I'm not very tech savvy but any help is appreciated!
Category: Computer
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you have this issue, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Please save this page to favorites( ctrl + d) so that you can reconnect in case you get disconnected

Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying that even old gpu doesn't work after inserting new one?

Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.

Since you are not online, request you to do the following:

1: Power off CPU and unplug cable from SMPS

2: Open CPU cover and Find CMOS battery in Motherboard

3: Remove batter from it and wait for 5 mins

You may press the power button in CPU so as to neutralize any remaining power in CPU. Press Power button 3 or 4 times

4: Insert CMOS battery > Make sure graphics card is inserted on same slot as it had earlier and seated correctly > Plug SMPS power cord and power on system

5: Check for display..

Please update status

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turns out my power supply wasn't strong enough to support my card. Thank you for the help though!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if this counts as a separate question but would you happen to know if 6 + 2 pci cords will also function as just 6 pci cords?
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it means it can accommodate power for 6pin as well 8 pin PCIE cards.

The only thing you must check is if SMPS is good enough to power those GPUs. The 8-pin is designed to supply up to 150W of power, the 6-pin only 75W. Besides you cannot power a 8 pin GPU with only 6pin connector.

The system will not simply work if GPU doesn't get proper powering from SMPS.

Please let me know if you have further query..

(If you have no queries, please consider rating my service by pressing the stars button)

Regards,

Fiyaz