Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

Windows 8 machine question. Since "downgrading" to

Customer Question

Windows 8 machine question. Since "downgrading" to a windows 8 machine (HP Pavilion) I am no longer able to play DVDs that I record on my sony DVD (not blueray) recorder. The DVDs I make WILL play on all other DVD machines that I have tried and will play
on my old windows 7 machine. The DVDs I made will also NOT play on any other windows 8 (or 10) machine. I downloaded some supposed media player software like VLC, Amerisoft, etc., but they still won't play. What is going on here and how can I make my new windows
8 machine play dvds, etc.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com

I think you may be missing the correct DRIVER for the DVD drive.

As with ALL hardware, DVD drives included, there are device drivers that are required to allow the hardware (DVD drive in this case) to function properly.

Now, Windows DOES have some generic device drivers, that may appear to have allowed the hardware to work properly, but in some cases the generic device driver is NOT sufficient enough. In those cases you need to get the OFFICIAL device drive for the particular hardware.

So, you need to visit the manufacturer website FOR the DVD drive. ie. Toshiba, Memorex, Fujitsu...etc etc.

Then fidn the correct driver for YOUR operating system, then download and install.

Make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Makes sense, but I will need more info since this problem seems to occur on the 6 windows 8 machines I have tried my DVD disks on.1: How do I find out what DVD drive I have. When I go to the devices screen, it seems to indicate that it is an HP dvd drive (DH16ACSHR). But I did not think HP made drives?2: When I try to find a driver for this unit, I end up with links to scam ads with download this to fix your driver. So what is the true link for this DVD drive?

Due to the complexity of the issue you are describing, it would take a lengthy series of back and forth to troubleshoot your issue. It is an additional charge, but it is VERY worth it. Because it usually resolves the issue very quickly, and offers an opportunity to see how an expert interacts with a PC, lending to a small learning experience.
I will connect to your computer, and fix the issue while you watch, if you accept my proposal for remote tech support.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 21 is reasonable, but I have a slew of dvd/video issues with this terrible machine.
So let me get a list of issues together for you and then we can proceed.
Figure within 24 hours to get back to you, then I assume I just press the accept button after that?

Yup, you are correct.

go ahead and get your list together.

Hello Mark, I wanted to follow-up with you.

Are you able to get a list of Q's together?

Or did you change your mind about using this service?