Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

Is there a way to find out who is accessing our computer and

Customer Question

Hello, Is there a way to find out who is accessing our computer and our emails? Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com

The answer is YES, you CAN find out who is accessing your computer and emails.

But in order to do that, you must FIRST findout HOW, they are accessing it.

Are they sitting at your computer while you are away?

Are they accessing your computer from a remote computer?

Each method would require a different set of tools, to find out, and ultimately stop them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not sitting here while I'm on the computer they are on at the same time. I'm sure it is a neighbor

So, your neighbor is connecting to your Wireless? And then accessing your computer and emails?

Or how do you think they are connecting? Is it through the internet? Or is it Bluetooth? Or is it the wifi?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please repost our question if we had all the answers you want we wouldn't need to ask the question.

OKay, The answer is YES you CAN find out.

It takes deep forensic inspection of your hard drive and computer, and deep inspection of the network traffic, and network devices.

Are you able to run and understand a Network traffic analyzer? If so, THAT is how you can see and catch them.

Blocking them would take a different set of tools. And an understanding of HOW to implement IPS (Intrusion Prevention Services), and or IDS (Instrusion Detection Services)

Its a 2 fold process. And i speak in a general sense.

1- Find their footprints, and trace back to the entrance onto your network.

2- Setup services to STOP the current entrance, and implement services to stop any other conceivable entrance onto your network.

optional step 3

3- Maintain network visibility, and monitoring through an application.

Does that kind of help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not computer people so how do we get this done?

Let me use an analogy here.

Lets say your computer is a car, and you want to know how to fix your car....but you are NOT a mechanic.

So, what do you do?

Learn to become a mechanic, so you can fix your car on your own...or....

take your car to a mechanic to get it fixed.

Now, your car isn't exactly BROKEN persay.....rather it is getting broken INTO, just as a car would....somebody keeps getting into your car. and snooping around.

So what do you do.....put a car alarm on it, and hope for the best.

The same scenario aplies here.

All you are essentially doing is putting a computer alarm on your computer. This is done with MONITORING tools.

These tools are usually NOT free, and can be VERY expensive, as they are VERY VERY in-depth, and are designed for the ENGINEER to use, not a novice computer user.

So, what are your choices?

Install and get frinedly with the monitoring tools yourself....which is ultimately the best thing.

OR

take it to a computer shop, and explain what is happening, and have them install monitoring software on it, and take you through a TEST drive, to show you some of the basics.

I woudl reccommend ORION SOLARWINDS as the software of choice. They have many different types of monitoring, and can also PREVENT intruders to the network. But, everything comes with a cost.

Heres the link to find out more.

http://www.solarwinds.com/network-performance-monitor.aspx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Let me use an analogy here. You have provided us information that if we were brain surgeons we'd be able to use this link and free trial but since our knowledge is limited to a little more than basic first aid this information is useless. This is basically what Solarwinds said and we have to start with an IT expert and see what they recommend.

Well, you may employ an IT expert for anywhere between 30 and 100 dollars PER HOUR.

I wouldn't be able to help you, on a simple Q and A forum, like justanswer.com

I suggest you find a local IT expert, one who can offer INhome sevices, and isn't going to break the bank either.

Unfortunately, you would need MORE help and guidance, than this Q and A session can offer, especially for the price.

I wish you the best, ***** ***** given you a direction to go in, and that is about the best I CAN offer, or any expert on this site, for that matter.

I do understand your frustration, and sympathize with you 100%, and feel terrible for NOT being able to offer more.