Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  Systems Administrator
58973002

Windows 10 error 0x80042302 when tried to do a System

Customer Question

Windows 10 error 0x80042302 when tried to do a System Restore.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That makes me very nervous. I'd rather you tell me what to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?

No problem. Hold the Windows Key and Press R. Type msconfig and click OK. Go to the services tab and enable all services, reboot PC and then test restore. If that doesn't work; Run command prompt as administrator; type sfc /scannow and hit enter. Wait for the scan to finish; if integrity is corrupt; then run the following command and hit enter. After cleanup finishes; reboot and test "restore". Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Went to services, all services were checked, but the 'enable all' button is grayed out and I can't select it.

Are you logged in as the administrator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure

Please logout and login as the administrator. Then repeat the process above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I do that.

Control Panel -> Users to check if the user account you are using is the administrator,.

Start -> Log Off (to logoff) from the current account.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says : local account administrator. So am logged in as an administrator. What good will it do to enable all services when main ones are missing.

"when main ones are missing" what do you mean by this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you check what I wrote you will see that several service files are missing, which is why I can't correct this error or do a System Restore. If you can't see what I wrote any longer, let me know and I will list the missing files again.

I only see this in the initial message "Windows 10 error 0x80042302 when tried to do a System Restore." List me only 1 or 2 services that are missing. I will get the idea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
System Restore, Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Services, Multimedia Class Scheduler. Also no Windows Resource Protection file. Here is what I've tried and what I wrote: Am really having lots of trouble with this darn Windows 10. Did update this morning for iCloud. Messed up my whole system. Lost most of my Windows Live Mail and its folders, lost all printers, etc. Ran virus protection. No help. Ran registery fix. No help. Tried to do a System Restore, but couldn't. Got error message 0x80042302. Checked Services folder and set Volume Shadow Copy to Running and Auto. System Restore file, Microsoft Software Copy Provider Services, Multimedia class scheduler, are missing so obviously are not set to Running and Auto. Was going to try using System File Check, but do not have Windows Resource Protection file (missing), and found all kinds of warnings not to use the System File Check if Windows Resource Protection was corrupted (it’s gone) or my PC could crash. Don’t know what to do from here.

It would be best if i take a look at this issue directly; it's a mix of multiple issues. You can see me what i am doing; and you will have the control to disconnect me. If you don't want remote; i can opt out for another expert who may be able to instruct without remoting in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had two really bad (one not even fixable) sessions when I tried remoting in the past, so am not comfortable. I appreciate you help, but would like try someone else at least once more, before I consider doing that. Thanks.

No problem. I will opt out and open the question to other experts. Once an expert responds; you will be notified by e-mail. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work. That program does not appear to be any different from PCPro or other registery fix software programs. None of them worked either.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

It's the best repair tool I've come across, I've had a lot of success with it.
At this point I would do a refresh of the PC which will fix the issue, the only thing you will have to do is reinstall any programs that you currently have installed.

Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Go to settings --> update and security --> Recovery --> Reset this PC --> Get started --> keep my files

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reran the Tweaking software and it worked this time. I was able to do a system restore finally. However, the System Restore did not bring back all of my Windows Live Mail folders and email. Don't know where they went. I did empty my Recycle Bin before the Restore (actually way in the beginning of this mess (yesterday). Don't think all my email folders and mail was there, but don't know what to do to recover it all.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

If you're trying to recover Windows Live Mail, the only way would be if you have File History turned on; which is not the default option.

System Restore by default only reverts settings, it doesn't touch files/folders.

To check this go to Control Panel --> File History

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File History is off. Does that mean I can't recovery those Windows Live folders and email?
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Correct, if those files were deleted then they are gone.

You can try to go to Windows Live --> File --> import email --> go to this folder C:\Users\%userprofile%\AppData\Local\

In here it's Windows Live or Windows Live Mail... and see if you can import any folders to see if this is anything you are missing.

Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see if you still need help with this issue, if not please rate!

Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Checking in, do you need help with anything else?