Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

How do I reset my password to get into my new dell computer

Customer Question

How do I reset my password ***** get into my new dell computer with windows 10
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Do you see any email address listed for your user account at the Windows logon screen?

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Please reply back using the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just my first name and a block that says password
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Please click on the name and check carefully - do you see a small email address listed just below it?

Also, do you see "Sign-in options" listed in the same logon screen now?

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

If you are unable to see either of these two info, could you let me know if it will be okay to provide you with the steps for a system recovery - which will restore the computer back to factory defaults (and allowing you to create a new account in the process)?

I'm sorry, I'm not able to take phone calls at the moment; however, please see above and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. Tell me the steps
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

OK. Now at the logon screen, please click on the Power icon at the bottom first, and do this:

HOLD down the Shift key on your keyboard, and then click "Restart" (while still holding down the key.)

Does this bring up a blue "Choose an option" screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have choose an option screen
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

OK, great. Next, at that screen, click Troubleshoot > Reset this PC. Select the option to keep your files, if needed, and follow the on-screen directions. The reset process will take some time to complete, after which your computer will be restored back to factory settings - and you will be able to set up and use a new user account as well thereafter.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, a positive rating (at the top of this page) would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope .. At reset your PC it asks for my password ***** what I think it is doesn't work.. So it says incorrect password
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, that's odd. One moment, looking this up further now - and do you still not see any email address listed anywhere? Please go back to the main logon screen, and toggle between the "sign-in options" listed, and let me know if it shows up an email address this way.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sign in options .. Just outline of a head, under that my name, under that a place for password ***** Nothing else
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, this indicate that you are using a Local user account and not a Microsoft account - and it might be much harder to reset the password ***** the same. Let me open up your question to our other experts who can assist further with this issue; you will be automatically notified by email when another expert picks this up.

Please do NOT rate until your issue has been resolved. Thank you.