Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design
50064670

My apostrophe/quotation key is suddenly not working

Customer Question

my apostrophe/quotation mark key is suddenly not working
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your computer.

let me know the make and model number of the computer, and how old is it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
asus x200m notebook maybe a year or two
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pls respond asap- type or call2769889458
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

My apology for the delay i had to restart my pc.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

The key is not working at all or you press it a bit harder then it works or it does not work at all on a particular application.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't work at all in any application
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Press windows key and the letter R key together you will see a box appear type in device manager you will see an icon appear click on it let me know once you are in there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok there
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you will see > sign next to keyboard click on it one you will see the keyboard in the lint single click on it to highlight and then uninstall it.

Please note if the problem is with the keyboard driver we can fix it and if the key is phyiscally gone bad then we will not be able to fix it on this chat in that case the keyboard will need a replacement. I will let you know after we are done with this diagnostics.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

restart the computer after removing the keyboard driver.

let me know once it reboot and you are back in windows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant remove the keyboard when I click I get keyboard device filter and rt click does nothing
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

right click on the keyboard icon you will get an option to remove or delet it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope, nothing on rt click
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I can do a remote session and check the problem why its not removing the driver. \

Remote assistance is an additional service, however i am providing you a short session for free.

Let me know then i can send you a remote link to run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as of now I have not been charged?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you have already paid $36 for this chat session however remote session is not included in this as its an additional service but i am ready to give you a free remote session.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found an uninstall icon up above and I restarted and now instead of saying keyboard device filter it says PC/ATenhanced ps/2 keyboard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but apostrophe/ quote still not wk and rt click does nothing
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Click on the remote link below and let me check and fix it for you.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=e23678ef-68d4-4158-baca-994b49019b35

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Join Your Remote Desktop Session

How Remote Desktop Works

1. Agree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.
  2. The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.
  3. Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.
  4. After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I was only to be charged $5 as a deposit.
I am uncomfortable giving you remote access to my computer.
why have I been charged 36?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I have no idea about your billing issue as being an expert in computer category we do not have access to customer info and billing however you may contact customer care for the same and they will help you.

I will opt out and open the question to other experts for there input and views.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I contact customer care? this is a rip off-it said 5 deposit and 31 to be charged after I am satisfied with response
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

This is not a rip off please check the credentials before commenting. justanswer is a reputed Q&A website if you have billing issue please contact customer care as i said earlier we dont have billing info of our customers for privacy policy.

dont foget to check this link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Call our Toll-Free Customer Service

US/Canada : 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 6pm PST

International
Available 24/7 for calls from outside US/Canada:
Australia : 1800-679-634
New Zealand : 0800-452-621
United Kingdom : 0***-***-****
The rest of the world : 1-***-***-****

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have more question i will be happy to answer them.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

I noticed your conversation with Michelle. You said suddenly the key is not working and it sounds like no other key have problems. So I suspect some changes in Keyboard input language settings. So, please open Notepad or Word to test the following.

Hold down Shift + Ctrl keys down once and then see if you're able to type the apostrophe symbol.
Toggle the switch till you get the apostrophe back (holding down Shift + Ctl keys toggles the keyboard' language setting).

If it not helps, change the keyboard settings to some other as follows:

Here is how to change this:

1. Press Windows key and R key together to open Run command box. On the Run box type control intl.cpl or control international.
  2. Click the "Keyboards and Languages" tab
  3. Click "Change Keyboards..."
  4. AT THIS POINT MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING "English (United Kingdom) - US" as the default input language, meaning you set the keyboard to US, not US-international.
  5. Check the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
neither helped what now?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Restart the system and boot in to safe mode. Check whether apostrophe is working or not.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It took me forever to figure out how to reboot win 10 in safe mode- I finally did and the key still didn't work (then I rebooted and realized I had to change the setting to boot in regular again- grrrrr)
what now?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

If it not works in safe mode also, the problem is with the key itself. You need to replace the keyboard.

Regards

Jins