Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I have a SimpleTECH 1 TD external hard drive that is not

Customer Question

I have a SimpleTECH 1 TD external hard drive that is not being recognized by my computer. I have used it for a couple of years and I have always had good use of this equipment. There are some valuable files/photos/documents on this drive that I would be more than disappointed to lose. Is there something that I should be doing to: a) get the drive recognized by the computer; and b) retrieve the data contained therein. Thank you for your help.
96300-41001-254
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

External Hard Drives are enclosed in a plastic enclosure, which has 2 components.

1- Power convertor

2- USB to SATA convertor board

So, if the the Hard drive WONT recognize through the USB port on your computer, you can (only for the technically savy) remove the hard drive from its enclosure, and remove all the internal components, leaving ONLY the bare hard drive, and then connecting it INTERNALLY to a desktop PC.

The USB board might have failed inside the enclosure which would prevent the drive from being recognized by your computer when you plug it into the USB port.

The Power convertor might have failed inside the enclosure too.

By hooking up the bare hard drive (after you remove it from the enclosure)to a desktop PC internally, you will be bypassing the possibly faulty components. The USB board, and power convertor.

Now, if the hard drive STILL wont spin up, and be recognized....then the drive is DEAD, and ONLY forensic drive experts can recover the data.