Greg A.
Greg A., Consultant / Engineer
Experience:  Working in Computer/Electronics 25+ Years, Storage Interface Expert
5229702

Why cant i get my Nuvi 2497 to turn on after I completed an

Customer Question

why cant i get my Nuvi 2497 to turn on after I completed an update?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The AGE of the device?
2) What was the state of the device BEFORE the update (was it working well, battery fully charged, etc.)?

3) Exactly what update was done on the device (device software or maps)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bought it one year ago; device was working great. update that i did was to fix bugs only. battery charged. I was using the device and then I shut the unit completely down when usually i just put it in sleep mode. after the complete shut down nothing happened.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK if it WAS WORKING after the update, and then was powered down, the main power switch may be a little dirty, or the device is just "stuck" in a lower power mode.

If you have not tried it already, please remove the device from ALL power connections, including the computer, and then press and HOLD the power switch for up to 45 seconds - to see if the device screen comes on.

Please let me know if that works (or not).

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for trying that for me.

The next step is the Master Reset, BUT we are really just trying to get the screen to come on, so if you get a response with the message about clearing the user data you will NOT have to answer YES, but just touch NO to continue on to a normal boot up.

Here is a video that shows the steps, but one thing they don't mention is that the device SHOULD be disconnected from power when trying this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGtTyOt-Hw

Please take a look at the video and then give the process a try or two, and let me know if the screen comes on.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it 3 times no luck
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - you may have some corrupt software in there, since that was the last thing that was done on the device. And since the device is just a year old, you should also be able to have the device repaired under warranty, if that becomes necessary. I have the contact information below, if it is needed.

BUT, if you happened to by an "extended warranty" from the place of purchase, you may also be covered by that, and if close by, that place should be able to get you a replacement pretty quickly.

Now if it was ME, I would try the long hold of the power switch WHILE the device is connected to a vehicle power adapter - or some other HIGHER POWER USB adapter, and not just a USB port of a computer (computers USB ports only offer very little power). And I would try that multiple times, before contacting the support folks.

Garmin Customer Support
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM-6 PM,
Friday 8 AM-5 PM Central Time
(closed holidays)

Phone:
U.S.: 1(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####br />Canada: 1(###) ###-####/p>

I'm sorry we could not "fix" this quickly, but when these issues happen, our choices for action become limited. Please "don't shoot the messenger" for this news.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or better results if you can try connecting to a higher power source.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome.

Please let me know what happens - when you can.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)