Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

Computer Serial Port Interface Help

Customer Question

Computer Serial Port Interface Help
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a Burleigh WA-1500 wavemeter that I want to query using Visual Basic. I have both VB.Net and VB 6.0. Can you help us with this project? It is a small project and we need your help.Attached is the manual. Look at page 29/30 for programing parameter info. Look at pages 49/50 for serial strings.So when the wavemeter powers on it goes into broadcast mode automatically (the serial Tx blinks once a second) and using Termite I see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The query command is "@\x51\r\n" and once this command is sent to wavemeter Rx LED does blink but it does not go into query mode. In query mode "see text" at top of page 49, it should stop broadcast mode, stop blinking Tx every second. In query mode it should only respond when I send it a "@\x51\r\n" see soft commands in table center of page 49.The wavemeter is setup for 9600 baud rate. My settings in termite are:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have National Instruments NI-MAX with NI-VISA. This is another serial port testing tool. I get basically the same results, wavemeter constantly sends data every 1 second, Rx blinks when I send a string but wavemeter does not respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will look forward to your help.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Have you installed the USB-to-serial adapter's drivers properly on the computer? That is a step that needs to be made sure of. If there was no drivers disc with the USB-to-serial adapter, it may not show up on the computer, in Device Manager, properly. Check in Device Manager and see whether the adapter is listed there as a device that is working properly.

Another factor may be putting the serial port (that the USB-to-serial adapter provides) into the proper mode. Have you set not only the baud rate for it, but also the number of bits, stop bits (or none), parity bits count, correctly? to match the requirements of the Burleigh wavemeter?

And lastly, have you chosen which USB port you are sending the serial data out of? an obvious point, but I thought I would ask.