Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician
62741268

After loading Windows 10, my Hp scanner error msg states

Customer Question

After loading Windows 10, my Hp scanner error msg states another program is using the netwoked Hp imaging device.(this msg on computer, the scanner error states not connected.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

HP provides a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor to quickly and automatically perform several troubleshooting tasks known to resolve this issue. When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.

• If you can scan, the issue is resolved.

• If you cannot scan, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Uninstall the HP driver and software

Uninstall the HP print driver and software that might cause the scanning issue.

1. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

2. Search Windows for uninstall a program, and then click the Uninstall a program Control Panel setting in the list of results.

3. In the list of installed programs, click your HP printer name, and then click Uninstall or Yes to confirm the uninstall.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the software removal.

5. Restart the computer.

Step 4: Reinstall the HP driver and software

After uninstalling the software, go to HP Customer Support to download the most current version of the full feature software for your printer. This ensures your printer has complete functionality.

NOTE:

As an alternative method to downloading the software, you can use the installation CD if it includes the Windows 10 driver.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

3. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.

4. If prompted, select a method to identify your printer model, and then follow the on-screen instructions to go to the download page.

5. Click Download next to the full feature driver (recommended), or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.

6. Use the HP Download and Install Assistant for a guided driver download and installation, or select Download only to manually open or run the driver file through your Internet browser’s download tools.

Step 5: Restart the computer and the printer

Restart the computer and your printer after reinstalling the driver to finish setting up the software in Windows.

1. Press the power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Close all running programs on your computer, then restart your computer.

3. Turn on the printer.

4. Try to scan.

Step 6: Scan with a scanning app

If you can’t scan from the HP software but you can print, use one of the following methods to scan from the computer in Windows 10.

• HP Scan and Capture app: Free from the Microsoft Store, scan photos or documents using your printer or the camera on your computer or mobile device.

Go to Installing and Using HP Scan and Capture App (Windows 10) for more information and to see if your printer is supported.

• Windows Scan app: Use this pre-installed app to scan from most HP all-in-one printers.

Search Windows for Scan and click the Scan app in the list of results.

Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor