Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

Does Quark have a way to insert special symbols into the

Customer Question

Does Quark have a way to insert special symbols into the text (like Ĕ, Ŧ, or Œ), like you can pull up in Word? I've looked everywhere and can't find out how to do it!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Quark uses certain keyboard shortcuts to type the special characters you need; you may check out the COMPLETE character set (and their corresponding keyboard shortcuts) using the following PDF file:

http://www.planetquark.com/images/library/tips/Special_CharacterShortcuts_v.1.2.pdf

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, a positive rating (at the top of this page) would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every time I open the Glyphs palette and try to use it, Quark automatically closes. Is there a glitch in the glyphs?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, I'm not sure about this - when did this first start? Or, have you been having this issue with Quark since the start?

Keep me posted.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Also, please try these steps now:

First off, Force Quit out of QuarkXPress.

Next, bring up the Finder, and go to the Hard Drive > Applications > QuarkXPress folder.

Inside the QuarkXPress folder, create a new folder by going to File > New Folder.

Label the new folder Preferences (use an upper case P - It is important that “Preferences” be spelled correctly).

Launch QuarkXPress from the QuarkXPress folder.

Does it crash when using the Glyphs palette this time as well? Do let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've never had to use these glyphs before, so never had this problem before. I'm not able to take phone calls at work.
However, am paginating a book that has about 10 special characters in it (referring to old Norse names) and need to access these special font glyphs to use in the text. I can "look" at the glyph box but anytime I enlarge it, scroll down or click on a glyph the program closes.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Please don't worry about the phone call offer - that's shown automatically by our site itself, and we can just continue conversing further on this page for now.

Now, could you follow the steps I provided in my above reply, and let me know if this makes any difference to the issue?

Keep me posted.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Also, please let me know the version of Quark you are using as well. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, it let me get a tiny bit further. I was able to put ONE glyph onto a document, then it shut down. I'm using version 9.2.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I see, looking this up now. One moment, please.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

OK, looks like you will need to upgrade your version of Quark to resolve this issue. Please download the FREE 9.5 upgrade first, using the following link:

http://www.quark.com/en/Support/Downloads/Details.aspx?fid=239

Run and install the upgrade after downloading, and check if this resolves the issue with the palettes thereafter. Do let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This might take awhile...
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it's a pretty large file (~1GB) and so would take quite some time to download. No issues; you may just reply back to me anytime later on at your convenience - this question page will always be accessible through your emails received from JustAnswer. Thanks!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Could you kindly update me on the status of this issue? If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.