Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My 2TB external hard-drive has been acting strange past

Customer Question

My 2TB external hard-drive has been acting strange for the past week. The blue light blinks whenever I plug it into my computer and sometimes doesn't recognize anything on the hard-drive. When it does recognize it, the hard-drive can take more than 15 minutes to show my files. I'm really worried the hard-drive is damaged. I've had it for a little over 2 months and it only has 180 GB of data on it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

this is a tell tale sign of an impending crash of the hard drive. If your lucky, these are the symptoms you will get else it would just not work one data and you will lose access to it.

To rule out weather this is a software corruption issue, I advise to backup the data off the Drive.

then format the drive (do this by opening finder, then go to Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities.)

Find your USB drive in the list on the left hand side, and click on it,

Then click on the 'Erase' tab.

Then choose Choosing Mac OS Extended

then use the drive and if it still displays these symptoms, return it to be replaced. I would test it a lot first before relying on it as it may be a software corruption issue, but nearly always its a sign of an impending crash and this will confirm it.