Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have updated from windows seven to windows 10 with the

Customer Question

I have updated from windows seven to windows 10 with the free download. It came up when finished with this message. Critical error Start menu& Cortana are not working we will try to fix it next time you sign in. I have the icon 4 squares making a square and beside it search the web and windows. I can right click on the icon and get the shut down, control panel etc. list. I have three other problems
1. a printer Fuji Xerox Docuprint 203A won't print now, it says it has document ready but won't print it.
the other problem comes with my bank accounts and may be their issue but the statements cannot be printed straight from the viewed file they get saved to documents and have to be printed from there. I do not want to save my bank statements to my computer before printing. This has only happened since updating.
The other annoying thing is when I set a column for dates, even though I have chose English Australian it will alter 3/9/15 to 9/3/15 unless I type 3 Sept 15. it will leave anything over 13/9/15 as is.
Can you fix these problems please, or tell me how in simple steps as I am 75 and not computer literate. Margaret Mansfield
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. Since these are multiple issues it would be best to connect remotely and work on them to fix. May i connect remotely? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I do not want to sign up for monthly questions just these
one off issues Margaret

If you have not subscribed to the monthly service; then you're not going to be on Monthly. I have sent you the request for remote service, please accept it then follow steps here to connect with me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why did windows not fix the Start menu for free as they said , we are in the middle of the worst drought in 128 years money is an issue at the moment, I agreed to $50. If you can fix the items for this please connect to my computer. Margaret

There are multiple issues which will require (2-3) hours of time fixing this, and troubleshooting it. We are JustAnswer, an independent IT Support Company. I can opt out and open the question to other experts if you would like assistance via Question/Answer without remote. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't quite understand what this means but yes please I will try that, Margaret

Okay. I will now opt out. Once another expert responds; you will be notified by e-mail. Thanks

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

hi can you tell me what issues still remain ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert,
I have not had any of my issues fixed to date. And hitting the call me button will not allow me to put my phone number in which is(###) ###-####1081.I would prefer to talk on line as a call to America will add to the cost.
When I updated from Windows 7 using the free update to windows 10 when finished downloading there was a message "Critical Error" Start menu & Cortana are not working we will try to fix it next time you sign in. I have restarted the computer many times and it has not corrected itself. Should I have signed in specifically to Microsoft and how do I DO that?
Also when I set up a date column I choose English _Australia and 23/3/15 When I put in a date ie. 12/3/15 or under it changes to 3/12/15 the only way I can stop this is to type 12 March 2015 which is a pain, How can I set this up to stop this.It did not do it before.
I have a printer Fuji Xerox docuprint 203 A which says it is ready to print but will not print. I tried to download a driver to do this but nothing changed where did the driver go? and how do I link it to the printer?
Also when I am online banking I cannot print the statement which is opened in a pdf the computer saves it to documents and I have to go there to print a copy apart from the extra time this takes I do not want my bank statements saved to my computer.
Is this a windows 10 issue or a bank issue? I need simple instructions as I am 75 Margaret
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

first i dont want to over charge you so if you have already paid for additional service ( the remote log in) please email***@******.*** and they can straighten it out so that i get paid rather than the expert that put it up but did not fix it.

second the time difference to australia is a bit of a problem. i can arrange my schedule somewhat to work with you. up to about 10 pm CST is good for me. or some days as early as 8 am CST And we can either chat by typing through the remote software or if you have a skype account we can do a free call through that.

As for the real issues.

we may have an option to go back to windows 7 which might be for the best. as getting start menu and cortina will be difficult or impossible.

the date thing depends on what program it is happening on. But there is also a setting within windows that will affect that. It would be in the control panel under regions and languages. But you probably have to hit the display tab and select small icons to see the regions and languages.

the printer i can look at. But as recall fuji does not have a lot of drivers and if they havent updated it to win 10 it may be an issue. There is usually a way around it though.

The not being able to print the pdf directly, i will have to look at. That is probably an issue with the new edge vs the old internet explorer. Or it has to do with the printer being offline. If you have another printer that works with win 10 we should be able to get it to print to that. It may just be that you have to click on "change printer" at the time that you print and select the correct printer that is working.

I wont be on again today until about 5pm CST but please leave a message and lets see if we can set a time when we can get together for this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Robert,
I have 2 printers the default printer works with windows 10 but still has the same problem ie, I ordered from Epson some new inks today and the invoice says print here and I clicked on that to print and a little message on the Bottom right popped up saying the documents had been saved to documents. The other printer is a much more economical black only printer which when I have volumes of printing is better to use. I am going to try contacting Microsoft themselves to resolve these issues,but will be glad to talk to you on line again if not successful. What is CST? Central standard time? We are on Eastern standard time. It is 5pm right now. Tuesday 27th. Margaret
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

We are on American Central time. 6 hours behind Greenwich mean time. I think. Daylight savings may make it 5.

What program creates the invoice. That is where the setting has to be changed for the working printer