Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

We have an HOA club house that is about 6000' plus a pool

Customer Question

We have an HOA club house that is about 6000' plus a pool area that is 1000' in space.
We have Comcast Wi-Fi in our managers office but not in the rest. What suggest do you have to get it in the rest of the area? We can't have anyone hacking into the office account.
Can we do this free with our existing Wi-Fi but a separate password ***** all residents.
We have some very smart network people that would love to get into our accounts. Board member.
Category: Computer
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! So what I would suggest is using a high-power range extender to extend the current wireless network. To ensure security, I would also replace the Comcast Wireless Gateway with a more secure router with more security features. I could make some suggestions to you for what equipment and configuration to use if you can give me just a bit more information about your layout and also how many people will be connecting to the WIFI.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Comcast cable runs into office at club house. Usage stops there. Now it is used by 2 people but we have 700 residents that want cell phone access to Wi-Fi. I can find out more after tomorrow about the layout if you need more. If we get an extender will it have to be set up by Comcast?

How would all these people access it? By clicking on available free Wi-Fi or would they need a password? If it is free then how secure is it? Again I am concerned that the hackers we have here would get into the HOA's managers accounts.

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

So could we arrange additional services for a phone call tomorrow? This way we can exchange information easier and I can give you my recommendation so that your setup will work well and also be secure per your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great thank you. # ***** time you are there in the PM

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can be here in the PM, what time please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really should know something about the security part before I go to the meeting. Can you help me there and then after the meeting I will call say at 5.

Thanks sue

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

Do you want me to relay security info via this chat? Or should we speak over the phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me something about security problems here?

sue

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.

So in order to maintain the best security and also have the routing power for the amount of guest clients to plan to have connect (700) for your main network and guest network I would recommend going with a Dell Sonicwall TZ400 Network Security Firewall. (Click to read more about it) You can configure two separate Virtual Networks on the router, one for the office employees and one for your guest clients. Although on the same device they can be configured to run independently so that guest clients have no way to access the main network.

You would continue to use the Comcast box as your internet modem, but this firewall would replace the "router" portion of the Comcast box.