PaulmoJD
PaulmoJD,
10285032

I want to know if I can get help removing or moving down

Customer Question

I want to know if I can get help removing or moving down information in Google search. BankRuptreport.com has my bankruptcy record. The problem is that when my name is ***** ***** announcement of the bankruptcy comes up. At first it was on the second page. Now it is half way up the first page. When I contacted the number on the Bankruptreport website, they demanded a fortune to remove it from the search. That seems like a scam. They put the info up so they can charge an exorbitant fee to take it down. Can google help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  PaulmoJD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, while it may be they are charging ridiculous prices to remove the information, the problem is that bankruptcy records are public information. This means that anyone can find the information in a public records search, so the company is not doing anything wrong or illegal by publishing it on the web. The company can have a policy to charge people for removal of valid and correct public information. So, if they are reporting accurate information, they can charge you to remove it.

If the information they are reporting is false or not factual, they cannot charge to remove it, they must remove it for free or correct it for free and if they do not do so, then they can be sued for libel or defamation for making false reports.