Michael Norman
Michael Norman, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Director of Technology
77547562

I have Apple Music, Family plan. I have some music I 't want

Customer Question

I have Apple Music, Family plan. I have some music I don't want to share with my kids. How do I remove that option on certain music/playlists?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard Hall replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Richard.

You can disable and enable sharing the playlists on an individual basis.

You can also set parental controls or both.

If you need any assistance with the above, let me know and I'll be happy to assist you in getting it configured.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I would like to know how to do these.

Ok. As far as playlists go, if you can't get to the screen I'm going to show you, you can follow these quick steps to get there....

Ad a song to the playlist from your device, a Shared Playlist button will appear. This option defaults to On, meaning you can send a link for others to add the playlist to their Apple Music account. Slide it to the Off position if you'd rather keep it private.

I've attached a screenshot of what you should see on your device for assistance.

I'll write a separate message for the next step, while you are working on this.

Rich

You can control access to explicit content through iTunes’s Parental Control preferences (iTunes > Preferences > Parental). You’ll need to unlock the lock icon and enter an administrator password ***** make changes. In iOS, tap on the Settings app, then General > Restrictions. If you need to enable restrictions, you’ll be asked to create a passcode, and then you scroll down to the Allowed Content section and tap Music & Podcasts to switch explicit content on or off.

I'm attaching an image for this section as well.

If you follow the two steps provided, you will be able to control the content as you wish.

Hopefully with the images and instructions you'll be able to do this without a problem.

If not, let me know and we can continue on this.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When controlling explicit content, if I set my phone to these preferences then my phone will block as well, correct? (no good)Am I to set their phone to these and leave mine as is?

I assume these are IOS instructions on an iPhone? May not matter but cannot find the screen you show or the ability to manipulate the Shared Playlist option. Please be aware all songs/playlists are already on the computer and my personal phone.

Yes, those were ios instructions. Once the content is controlled, it should still be available if you know the passcode.

Do you use itunes to manage your music? We can make adjustments in there as well.

What is the primary device you are using to try to manage apple music?

Thanks!

I found a page that will provide the instructions with the pictures to address sharing and unshariing playlists,

with instructions for both IOS and Itunes.

This should clarify how you can get to your screen as well as provide alternative method to work with your playlists.

Please see link below....

Thanks,

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/tips/comments/unsharing-playlists-in-apple-music

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After downloading music while I am on the Family plan I assume(d) all music was available to anyone who was on my family plan. Is this correct or must I choose to share a playlist with them?

You are correct it does.

What you could do on a general basis that would not just apply to the music, if this is what you are trying to accomplish,

is to setup restrictions through for each apple id on the plan. A passcode is set to prevent the apple id you restricted from making changes.

Is this getting int he right direction.

You can share playlists externally as well as internally. That is one of the reasons for the enable/disable feature. But that doesn't effect prevent controls. That would be up to the external device accessing the playlist.

Rich

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Too much Info. ;)

Your explanations are great if I know what you are describing. Please list steps to limit access to playlists. The biggest reason nothing makes sense is there is no feature on itunes/iphone 5s that allows the unsharing of playlists unless it has been shared, go figure. The playlists I have shared have a disconnect toggle. The playlists I have not shared do not. How to access that feature on unshared playlists. You said all playlists were shared but there are some that say "shared" next to them and have toggle to shut off. 90% of them do not have that "shared" by them and no toggle.

Ok. I understand. Perhaps it would work best for you if I opened this up to someone who might be a little more familiar with the interaction of the family plan as it applies to you.

I'll assist if need be.

Thanks!

Expert:  Michael Norman replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is, Mike. I would like to try and assist you. Essentially you are looking to limit access to certain songs so that it isn't shared with the family. Please refer to the instruction provided in the following link. If you scroll down to iTunes it provides instructions on how to limit access.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201322