Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I have an Asus Notebook K52F which came with Windows 7. It

Customer Question

I have an Asus Notebook K52F which came with Windows 7. It will not update Windows. The last update was 2013. I have been getting constant pop up messages saying that my This Computer Is Not Operating Genuine Windows, however Windows 7 came already downloaded on the notepad and I dont have any discs to reinstall it.
What can I do? I need to update my Windows.
Denise
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi Denise. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. The laptop comes with a "hidden" partition that allows you to restore Windows. You will need to back up any data files you wish to retain first though. This will return the laptop to its original factory new state. It will get rid of the Not Genuine message as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Byron,
How do I restore Windows to the original factory state?
I have an external hard drive that is my back up.Denise
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, Denise. To perform a recovery first make sure the laptop is plugged in to electrical power.

On start up (before Windows loads) keep tapping the F9 key when the Asus logo appears, to access the recovery partition.

Press [Enter] to select Windows Setup [EMS Enabled].
Select the language you want to recover and click Next.
Read the ASUS Preload Wizard messages and click Next.
Select Recover Windows to entire HD.

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the recovery process.

When complete you'll create a new username and password (you can use your old one)

You'll also have over 100 Windows updates to install.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi Denise. Were you able to recover the laptop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Byron
I was unable to fix the Windows 7 to allow updates.
The problem appears to be far deeper and more complex than originally assumed.
I have been working with Microsoft who have been finding it difficult to fix the corruption on my Windows 7.
They have reinstalled Windows 7 and I am now waiting for them to call back to repair the problem. Hopefully they can fix it. They have tried numerous ways to fix the corruption but to no avail.Will keep you informed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Byron
I have a new issue now.
Since so many different technicians at Microsoft have been trying to fix the problem, my notebook screen and also my external monitor are distorted. The content is stretched very wide and the colour on the external monitor is very dark and blurred. All content is not showing on the horizontal of the screen. I have tried to fix it via control panel appearance and personalisation, but it doesnt fix it. I need to go back to the normal default view.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

So even after a clean installation of Windows 7 your updates still aren't working?

I've never heard of that before.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi Denise. What were the results of the F9 recovery procedure that I posted above earlier?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Byron
I have tried the F9 but with no success. I dont get the prompt for Windows Set up, only the option called Windows 7 and when I select and enter that, Windows downloads as per normal.
Microsoft are still endeavouring to help. They believe the system is corrupted. They have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. They now want to clear my computer and reload all the programs again. Bit nervous about that. They plan to do it tomorrow. When they try to update, the message comes up each time of "cannot update as the service is not opeating".So, still no solution. Can you assist with the aspect of my external monitor? It is a weird colour, very bold and stretched horizontally, so I cannot view the entire screen. I have tried all the options for view on the monitor menu, but nothing works.Regards
Denise.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Denise. If the F9 recovery isn't working it means the recovery partition was deleted or damaged.

I'm not sure why the people you have been working with didn't recommend getting recovery disks from Asus but that's my recommendation. From this link: http://us.estore.asus.com/

enter k52f in the search box in the upper right corner and click the search (magnifying glass) icon.

A new page will open. Click Notebook Recovery Software

and you can order the recovery software. This will put the laptop in it's like-new state.

These disks contain not only the Windows operating system but the hardware drivers and software that originally

came with the laptop. This is something you won't get from simply re-installing Windows.

If the issues with your notebook screen and monitor are related to someone else working on the laptop as you indicated

above I'm a little hesitant to work on that. If, after restoring the laptop with the rescue disks, the issue still persists (which I don't believe it will) I'll be happy to work on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Byron,
Thank you for your assistance.
The issue has now been resolved with Microsoft after more than a week and dealing with over 8 people. The problem was quite complex and the repair has now been done and updates from the last couple of years have been able to be installed. All fixed.Regards
Denise